Logo

assembling 1965 evinrude big twin impeller...

rhartman421

Regular Contributor
Assembling a 1965 evinrude 40hp. I had a few bolts replaced with a helicoil!

Is the new impeller supposed to fit in the impeller housing easily? it seems like the impeller housing doesn't want to slip over the housing?

Should I be using any grease on the impeller or leaf plate? Is the impeller supposed to slip into the housing easily? I have a 6 fin impeller, am I supposed to bend the impeller to fit the housing?

Yes, it has to bend. Keep in mind that it rotates clockwise, as looking down from above. Dish soap works as a slippery agent. Or (Ahem) KY Jelly.

I've seen some youtube videos where people will put the impeller on the drive shaft first, then put the top of the housing on while rotating the drive shaft clockwise. The rotation should allow you to lightly press the housing onto the impeller with the correct orientation.

I've seen some youtube videos where people will put the impeller on the drive shaft first, then put the top of the housing on while rotating the drive shaft clockwise. The rotation should allow you to lightly press the housing onto the impeller with the correct orientation.

Thank you just found a video of this motion! I will try this tomorrow

Last edited:
Great trick, got impeller assembly back together following clockwise motion! Is there any way to test impeller before reinstalling? I saw a video with a cordless drill and lower unit in a bucket.... would it work on this old girl?

Would like to test before reassembly

How am I supposed to line up the 2 copper tubes that go up into the motor? Can i remove them from the grommets in the impeller housing cap, shove them up into the top unit assembly, then simple reinstall into the grommet?

I dont see how you can line them up with them installed into grommets as installing lower unit ????

Last edited:
They usually stay up in the exhaust housing.----You MUST first install them in the exhaust housing.----Then install the lower unit !----No need to test with a drill.----It is hard to assemble them so that it would not work.-----And when test running the water MUST be 6 or 8" above the impeller.

Thank you i got it! The splines on top of the shaft had caked up debris causing it to align poorly. Cleaned the splines with a pick and it went in like butter.

It's good practice to put grease on the drive shaft splines so it doesn't get stuck in there the next time you go to pull the lower unit.

To run this in a barrel or gigantic commercial garbage bin, does the water have to simply Be over the water inlet grille or does it have to be 6-8 inches ABOVE the water inlet on left side?

i was always testing it with water about 3 inches max over the inlet, I’m thinking it has to be closer to 6-8 inches in order for impeller to do its job?

I dont want to run it dry after all the work doing new impeller

i am tempted to bleach an old plunger and rig it to a hose and hold it against the water inlet

Last edited:
When should water start to come out with exhaust? How can I check for a blockage?

Sorry for doublepost, should water be coming out/ mixing with exhaust as soon as the motor is started? I didnt see any water coming out, but only ran it a few seconds. Could it be a bad thermostat?

Some water should spray out the blow hole anytime the motor is running. The amount of water coming out constantly varies according to thermostat state, which constantly is sampling the temp and opening or closing as necessary to maintain desired temp. It is not an either-or deal.

Back