Logo

115 2 stroke 4 cyl Lower reseal

gene_d

Regular Contributor
I ordered shift pins and all gaskets, orings and seals, plus water pump from marine engine.com.
Do I need to remove pinion gear and pull drive shaft to replace seals? Same with shift shaft. Can the shafts stay in place and replace seals??

No, the driveshaft seals (2) are in the waterpump base so the driveshaft does not need to be pulled. Same for the shift seal, it's in a plastic cartridge. Remove one screw and pry the cartridge up and out. Tip: make sure you keep downward pressure on the shiftshaft to keep it from coming out with the cartridge. Without holding the shiftshaft in place it will come out of the shift cam down in gearcase that can be a pain to get back in the correct orientation without having to dissemble the entire gearcase to get it reinstalled correctly. Also, unless you ordered a new water pump base with the two seals already installed, you will need the special tool to install the two seals at the correct height in the housing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info fitz I did not know any of this. My base assembly is 43055a not available. SEI 97205-07K. $40 to get a tool $70 to get base assembly with seals in? Is this what I should be looking at?

Well if you can get the base with the seals from SEI go for it.... The base fits 75-125 hp, I have replaced enough seals over the years that it made sense for me to buy the tool and just replace the seals since the bases really don't go bad except for cleaning and scraping. Glad you mentioned about the OEM bases being NLA, I have a bin full of them that I saved over the years from people that wanted a "complete" water pump kit replacement.

Good info. I just bought a boat with a 1978 900 6-cylinder, and when I changed the gear oil I pressure-tested it, since the drained volume was low. I have a leak at the shift shaft, and hoped I wouldn't have to completely disassemble the lower unit.

First day on this forum and it's already providing valuable information!

Thanks!

Good info. I just bought a boat with a 1978 900 6-cylinder, and when I changed the gear oil I pressure-tested it, since the drained volume was low. I have a leak at the shift shaft, and hoped I wouldn't have to completely disassemble the lower unit.

First day on this forum and it's already providing valuable information!

Thanks!
Good to hear, although you are about as far away from Florida as you can get, I have A freshwater 1978 900 with powertrim in stock if you ever need another one.

Really a good point about the splined shift shaft coming up out of the "Cam Follower" arm in the gearbox and not keeping it pressed in, while both disassembling the LU from the mid section and removing the seal, turning an otherwise mundane task into an unnecessary PIA.

To be clear the part is called "shift cam" the follower would be what cam pushes against, in this case the pin that pushes the cross shaft in the clutch dog, held in tension by the clutch spring.

Back