Logo
Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Mercury / Mariner outboard. Online Manuals
MercuryMariner
Order printed Mercury / Mariner service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
MercuryMariner
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Mercury / Mariner engine. Engine Diagrams
MercuryMariner
Find parts quickly with Mercury application guides. Quick Parts Guide
MercurySierraCDI

Default 115 2 stroke 4 cyl Lower reseal

I ordered shift pins and all gaskets, orings and seals, plus water pump from marine engine.com.
    Do I need to remove pinion gear and pull drive shaft to replace seals? Same with shift shaft. Can the shafts stay in place and replace seals??

Default Re: 115 2 stroke 4 cyl Lower reseal

No, the driveshaft seals (2) are in the waterpump base so the driveshaft does not need to be pulled. Same for the shift seal, it's in a plastic cartridge. Remove one screw and pry the cartridge up and out. Tip: make sure you keep downward pressure on the shiftshaft to keep it from coming out with the cartridge. Without holding the shiftshaft in place it will come out of the shift cam down in gearcase that can be a pain to get back in the correct orientation without having to dissemble the entire gearcase to get it reinstalled correctly. Also, unless you ordered a new water pump base with the two seals already installed, you will need the special tool to install the two seals at the correct height in the housing.
    Last edited by fitz73222; 09-17-2020 at 06:46 AM.

Thanks for reply. I did not order base, nor do I have the tool. Does anyone have a blueprint for tool?

Thanks for the info fitz I did not know any of this. My base assembly is 43055a not available. SEI 97205-07K. $40 to get a tool $70 to get base assembly with seals in? Is this what I should be looking at?

Well if you can get the base with the seals from SEI go for it.... The base fits 75-125 hp, I have replaced enough seals over the years that it made sense for me to buy the tool and just replace the seals since the bases really don't go bad except for cleaning and scraping. Glad you mentioned about the OEM bases being NLA, I have a bin full of them that I saved over the years from people that wanted a "complete" water pump kit replacement.