Logo

1998 200 Johnson hard to start

nicknack2

Regular Contributor
Hi guys,
I have a 1998 200 Jonhson which I have trouble starting after it seats for a day or two. I pump the bulb until is hard and then crank, it takes more than 4 or 5 tries to start, I take it easy on continued cranking (10-15 seconds at the time) to avoid draining the battery or burning the stater, then it finally fires, but it just seems like it takes too long (i never get it started in less than 5 minutes) any tips or ideas on why it takes too long to start?

I have good fresh fuel, the bulb gets hard, no visible leaks, have spark and a fully charged battery...once it fires and runs once, I can shut it off and re-start at the turn of the key.

any help is greatly appreciated...

It could be needing a richer mixture to get started. Does your ignition say, "push in to start"? Some motors are setup to add extra fuel when starting by pushing in the key as you turn it on. I don't know if your motor has that. Someone else on this forum will know for sure.

Good Morning,
yes, I do push the key in while cranking it over... but let it rest/let off pushing the key and crank, to avoid chocking the motor...should I try cranking with the key pushed in until it pops and then just crank w/o pushing the key if it didn't start?

It's possible the primer solenoid isn't working, but I don't know how to troubleshoot it, perhaps someone else does.

It's possible the primer solenoid isn't working, but I don't know how to troubleshoot it, perhaps someone else does.
Very possible.

NickNack, unplug the leads to the primer solenoid then use a multimeter to probe wires coming from the harness. Do not start the motor, but have someone put the key in run position then press in to prime. If everything is right you should see 12V on the multimeter. If you don't see 12V then you need to start chasing wires back to the ignition switch until the problem is found.

If you have 12V at the harness, plug it back into the primer solenoid then remove the outlet hose from the primer. Put a piece of clear tubing (1/8" ID I think) on the outlet nipple and run that into a clear bottle. While cranking the engine press in on the ignition and watch the bottle to see if fuel flows into it. If you see fuel flowing in, then it means your solenoid is working properly and you're starting problem is something else. If you DO NOT see fuel flowing the next thing is to manually activate the primer. Turn the red handle up then try cranking again. Do you now see fuel flowing in the tube/bottle? If yes, then it means your fuel passages are clear and the electronic side of the primer is not working. In that case you need to replace it. However, if the manual prime setting does not show fuel, it could mean the passages are just gummed up. In that situation you can order the parts below to rebuild the solenoid.

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0175158

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0437228

Here's a video on how to test and rebuild the primer system: https://youtu.be/BrBj2p4A8xQ

Please perform these tests and report back.

Last edited:
You don't exactly state BUT it sounds like you're just momentarily pushing the key in to engage the fuel primer solenoid without having the engine turning over (cranking)... then cranking the engine over with the electric starter Without pushing the key in to prime the engine.

Proper starting procedure:
Pump fuel primer bulb up hard,
Turn key to START and Hold Key In while cranking to prime each cylinder,
When engine fires & starts running, Let Loose of the key.

Thanks for the part numbers, my solenoid clicks so I assume it works, I did noticed a drop of fuel dangling down from the red lever so I might buy the rebuild kit and get the solenoid rebuilt...joe, that’s exactly how I try to start the motor as described in your steps...I wonder if the motor doesn’t crank fast enough to create a spark... or could the motor loose prime after it “sits” for days, because as I stated before once the motor stars it will continue to start at the turn of the key...

Pumping the primer bulb before you turn it on is all you need to do to get the fuel where it needs to be, assuming everything is working as it should. Maybe upload a video of you trying to start it? It may communicate something to one of these experienced mechanics that you aren't picking up/describing.

Back