Logo

What year is this 6hp Evinrude and would it be a good parts motor for 1975 6hp Evinrude

Swarlos

Regular Contributor
Hi folks, there's a 6hp Evinrude for sale that I'm considering buying as a parts motor for my 1975 6hp Evinrude if it's compatible. I can't see the model number on the plate and the owner hasn't responded to the question yet.

I was hoping some of you could identify the year at a glance, and let me know if I could use lower unit, power head, etc in my 1975.

Here are the pictures.

Evinrude6Port.jpgEvinrude6Starboard.jpg

Thanks in advance.

That is a 1973, and almost everything on it will be the same as a 1975. Just wondering, what's wrong with it that makes it deserving to be scrapped for parts?

I don't know that it deserves to be a parts motor. I haven't seen it or done any testing, the seller just says it doesn't run. I'm interested in it as a parts motor at the least, but it's a bit of a drive so I wanted to make sure it would be worth my trip regardless of what a compression or spark test will show.

Last edited:
Beauty motor. I sell ones like it up here in Northern MN for $600 with fresh tune up. Just make sure it hasn't been overheated.....look for paint discoloration.

I have a little newer 6 going sale next week. Buyer will trade in a 1975 6 that he "can't keep running", just hope he didn't try to "FIX IT". Guess you don't need a permit to "work on" your own motor. Many people simply destroy them.

Since I've only just started trying to fix my own motors over the last year or so I'm glad I didn't need a permit to do so, but I've benefited greatly from the knowledge and expertise of the folks on this forum. Thanks for that!

Well, the first motor fell through. The guy selling didn't respond to any of my messages. However I found another option, the seller says it's a 1976, but he said the model number plate was missing. Based on the pictures I believe him, but I would love a confirmation.

Evinrude6Front.jpgEvinrude6Top.jpg

Thanks folks!

Back