Logo

Finally - pulling the old 454's out on Friday

bobct

Advanced Contributor
It's only been a year since I bought the 8.1's and it looks like they'll finally going in! Step one is to remove the 454's which is happening on Friday.

I built cradles for the 8.1's which are in use. I'm going to drop them both behind my boat while I figure out when the buyer is coming to pick them up. My question is drop them onto "what"?

I thought someone mentioned to me a while back that a decent size tire might do the trick. Or is it just easier to use 6x6 blocking under the mounts? There's plenty of that laying around. It's a paved parking lot so I just need to keep them off of the ground and covered for maybe a week.

thanks
Bob

I'd be more inclined to use something solid - 6x6's should be stable enough...should make the yard owner a little bit happier as well.

I'd also have a few 1x4 (or 2x4) pieces just in case ... and a saw...I wanna say you need ~ 6" under the front mounts if you have the cast oil pans....and if the mounts are spun out, the 6x6 will be short...you can always check those install drawings...

I'd be more inclined to use something solid - 6x6's should be stable enough...should make the yard owner a little bit happier as well.

I'd also have a few 1x4 (or 2x4) pieces just in case ... and a saw...I wanna say you need ~ 6" under the front mounts if you have the cast oil pans....and if the mounts are spun out, the 6x6 will be short...you can always check those install drawings...

Ok, that's what I'll do, plenty of lumber laying around - thanks.

Re: Finally - pulling the old 454's out on F

It's only been a year since I bought the 8.1's and it looks like they'll finally going in! Step one is to remove the 454's which is happening on Friday.

I built cradles for the 8.1's which are in use. I'm going to drop them both behind my boat while I figure out when the buyer is coming to pick them up. My question is drop them onto "what"?

I thought someone mentioned to me a while back that a decent size tire might do the trick. Or is it just easier to use 6x6 blocking under the mounts? There's plenty of that laying around. It's a paved parking lot so I just need to keep them off of the ground and covered for maybe a week.

thanks
Bob
i have the use of a banding machine, then i just find a couple of old pallets
most industrial shops will give them to you

Back