Logo

Please Help I.D. starter pre 78 stringer drive starter ?

boatben

Howdy ,I'm working on a hydro swift boat that I originally thought was 1978, but may actually be 1977, long story ,but I.D./engine/drive plate numbers are gone ! I need a starter ,the folks here at Marineengine were helpful in supplying me with this # 981078 , but I believe this may be for the 1978 and later , does anyone know if this will work with the 1977 and earlier models or maybe even have one they will sell ? ,since it appears 78 was a year that things may have changed ? The boat is a 350 chevy , with OMC " Stringer drive unit Thanks for the help Ben

Seems that this block has the ability to take both , I guess I will try to count the ring gear teeth , just in case .Any idea if the 981078 will fit the 77 omc stringer drive unit /

Ben, post a few good photos of your drive. It will help those who may know identify the drive.

Seems that this block has the ability to take both ,
Are you referring to the starter motor?
If so, yes..... the block will accept both bolt pattern starter motors.
As said in your other thread, make dang sure that the bolts are knurled (at the dowel areas) and that they are the correct length.
Too long, and they will bottom out before fully clamping the nose housing to the cylinder block, in which case the the bolts will often shear off.
Too short, and they may strip the threads.

I guess I will try to count the ring gear teeth , just in case .
Consider this:
..... If you tried a staggered bolt pattern starter motor, and during starter motor engagement it did not allow the pinion gear to mesh with the ring gear, you most likely have the smaller flywheel with the 153 tooth ring gear.
..... If you tried a straight across bolt pattern starter motor, and if it could not be installed, you most likely have the larger flywheel with the 168 tooth ring gear.

Alternate method:
Mark the harmonic balancer off in one increment of 90 degrees.
Paint mark one ring gear tooth against a reference point.
While a helper rotates the crankshaft 90 degrees, count the number of teeth that pass by the reference point.
.... If you count 42 teeth, you have the 168 tooth ring gear flywheel.
.... If you count 38.25, you have the 153 tooth ring gear flywheel.

SBC flywheel options 153 vs 168 tooth.jpg

Any idea if the 981078 will fit the 77 omc stringer drive unit
I am not certain, but since the starter motor attaches to the cylinder block, I'd think that either starter motor would work with the stringer drive housing.

NOW THEN ...! This is what I'm talking about ,great info here ,and GREATLY appreciated ! I'm going to put a little more cash and time into this , and then see where we are at , i would like to save this craft , but I'm a realist , and where I'm at cost wise now ,If I have to part it out ,I will just hope some of the old pieces will bring a little cash to recoup what I'm into it ... ONWARD THRU THE FOG , and DAM'N THE TORPEDO'S...Thanxz again Guy's

here are a few ,gonna post more ...

Attachments

• 921_1928.jpg
    921_1928.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 921_1930.jpg
    921_1930.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 921_1933.jpg
    921_1933.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 921_1927.jpg
    921_1927.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 921_1929.jpg
    921_1929.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 921_1931.jpg
    921_1931.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 33
Re: Please Help I.D. starter pre 78 stringer drive starter ? MORE PIX of Stringer Drive etc.

A few more pix , sorry they are not labeled .The last picture is one of a spare prop found in boat , it looks different from prop on boat .Thanxz BB

Attachments

• 921_1932.jpg
    921_1932.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 921_1936.jpg
    921_1936.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 921_1934.jpg
    921_1934.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 921_1937.jpg
    921_1937.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 921_1938.jpg
    921_1938.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 29
Gotcha ...Thanxz , is there any market for spares ,if and when I need to part this whale out ? I didnt see a classifieds on this forum like some other forums ?

So I wonder if I can cheat counting teeth , and just go with this number on flywheel # 3791021 and call this a 153 tooth ring gear ?

This flywheel appears to fit many Chevy V8 units and also straight sixers ! I believe Im going to order the straight across mounting starter from DB electric , I would like to buy the used one from precision -marine , but $ 38.00 for shipping is F@#!%d... I will need to procure the little short bolt, or both, but i think my longer knurled bolt will work .

By the way , I was just back in N.J. around Galloway , where my elderly parents are being held in isolation in a " Covid prison " By " Heroes " ... Is someone really a Hero ,when they are paid ? in my book heroes are guys that land planes on the East river , or jump into icy waters to save people... I apologize for the heartfelt rant thanks for your help

This flywheel appears to fit many Chevy V8 units and also straight sixers ! I believe Im going to order the straight across mounting starter from DB electric , I would like to buy the used one from precision -marine , but $ 38.00 for shipping is F@#!%d... I will need to procure the little short bolt, or both, but i think my longer knurled bolt will work .

Ayuh,..... The starter in yer pictures is a staggered pattern, for a 168 tooth flywheel,.....

I have a replacement starter with sraight across pattern ,1 long bolt ,one short , havent had time to try it yet .When I do I will try to report on my progress ...meanwhile ,thanks to everyone for the help and info BB

I want to fire this engine , but i'm leary about getting it completely drained ...it has the log style manifolds w/ 2 hoses on each side ,does anyone have sugestions or a link to help out ...thanks BB

I want to fire this engine , but i'm leary about getting it completely drained ...it has the log style manifolds w/ 2 hoses on each side ,does anyone have sugestions or a link to help out ...thanks BB

If you want to fire it up and run it for a while, you'll want to supply cooling water. Make sure that the seawater pump impeller is good!
To drain the system, simply open the 2 drain ports in the cylinder block and in the exhaust manifolds, and let gravity take over.

If you want to fire it up for only a few seconds, remove the seawater pump impeller and run it dry.
In 10 or 15 seconds ONLY, you will not harm anything.

Okay , sounds good... from the pic's I've posted, and as far as reference diagrams research since I still havent found any model or I.D.#'s on this unit .would it be wise to assume it is a 1977 electric shifted Stringer Outdrive ?
I don't mind removing the pump, I am leary of causing more harm to an already neglected powertrain, and very leary due to my inexperience with boat related systems Thanks BB

Back