Logo

Old Johnson Outboard Shifting Troubles

T-Bone79

Hello!

I'm new to the outboard motor game. Please bear with me!

I have a late 70s Johnson 25 (tiller steer) that runs great. The only issue is that, while the motor is running, it will not shift from forward to neutral. Forward to reverse works, reverse to neutral works. I know this is has something to do with adjusting the linkage in the lower unit. I don't want to be rough on the old girl.

I unscrewed the little window that looks in on the linkage, but I cannot figure out what needs to be done by looking at it.

Any input from the internet hivemind is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Model # required.------And there is no adjustment inside the lower unit.----On the side of the motor exhaust housing you will find an oval plate.---Remove plate.---There is NO ADJUSTMENT feature at that connector-------Remove 1 screw from connecter.----Line up notch on shift rod with hole and install the screw.---Repeat with other screw.----Final check shift adjustment up at the shifter handle.

Most likely cause----Worn shifter lever bushings----Loose inner shift lever (under powerhead)
Another likely cause---- Worn out shifter cradle in lower unit due to running with water in lower unit.
You probably will not find a simple five-minute magic fix.

Back