Logo

mercury the worst purchase I ever made!

salmonquest73

After years and years I finally saved up to buy a new boat. I researched and found a good deal on a brand new boat with a Mercury 150hp four stroke. I read up on break in procedures. The maiden voyage went well and I liked how quiet it was. So I decided to take my three kids including my disabled daughter on the second trip. As we were cruising around 4000 rpms in some light chop the motor dropped to idle immediately. Kids went flying and my poor daughter hit the floor. HARD!!!!! I checked everything I could but it all seemed in order. I could idle but nothing more. Oh well at least I can get in....that is until the whole engine dies. Fortunately we were eventually towed in. Now buying a brand new motor would seem to prevent incidents like this. A call to Mercury and my only remedy is to drive the 2.5 hrs back to the dealer I bought it from. A week later I make the trip to find that the rod that connects the throttle cam at the bottom of the housing to the top of the engine had come off. The certified mechanic tells me that there is a retaining clip that must have not been secured from the factory.

So 15 min. fix and I chalk it up to a minor error.

Over the next 4 trips the boat proceeds to die every other trip. I realize the battery is being drained and has enough juice for about 2-3 hours of run time. I check all connections. I call Mercury again and get the same response. Take it in to a Mercury repair shop. I explain that they are all a month behind and this is a brand new motor. They tell me they can't contact a local shop and ask they move it up. The dealer I bought it from and Mercury basically say tough luck. So once again I spend a whole day driving it back to original dealer and dropping it off. Four days later I get a call from the service manager that one of the wires that go from the alternator to the battery is missing. Never was there. The good news is this is an easy fix and understandable. I contact Mercury and explain what happened. I asked if they would extend the warranty since I bought a motor that was missing parts and didn't work right from Day 1. Their response is too bad. If it breaks under warranty you can bring it in and we can look at it.

I asked to return the whole thing but the dealer explained that once it's titled I can't

I am completely beside my self. almost $30k and the boat and motor don't work right from day one. I've lost a month of time, Drove over a 1000 miles, and have zero confidence in the motor. No compensation offered for my troubles.

Is it unreasonable that they should offer something for the danger they put my family in, the lost time, and the headaches?

If I bought a new car and it died the second day I would have some recourse and some compensation. I'll never buy or recommend Mercury again. Crap company!!!

2X...real crappy....with a few integrity issues, too.

And then there's the whole concern about the break-in procedure.....but that's a context switch...

Back