Logo

1994 Johnson 150 Shift Switch issues

Baxter83

I think I'm having a problem with the shift switch, but I'm very open for other suggestions. I can back the boat in the water, fire it off, and blast off with no issues. After running for just a few minutes it looses power and comes off plane. Once this happens I'm down to idling where sometimes it'll "jump" like it wants to go again, but just a puff of smoke with a burst of power and that's it. I popped the cowl and poked around, but the only obvious thing I noticed was that the port cylinders were noticeably warmer than starboard. The last time I was out it did about the same thing, and since I'd read a little about the shift switch shutting down 3 cylinders I unplugged it. It never went down again, but it wants to keep running after turning the key off. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Repair / adjust / replace the sticky shift switch.--------When you shut it off it is likely running on 3 cylinders.----Easy to test for that.

Repair / adjust / replace the sticky shift switch.--------When you shut it off it is likely running on 3 cylinders.----Easy to test for that.

Thanks for the response!
Since the problem is intermittent how could I test for it? How would I go about testing the switch? It looks lo like it grounds to the block in one position and the other position maintains continuity?

Thanks for the response!
Since the problem is intermittent how could I test for it? How would I go about testing the switch? It looks lo like it grounds to the block in one position and the other position maintains continuity?
Lets see,runs poorly with switch hooked up,runs good with switch unhooked.how much testing do you want?

Lets see,runs poorly with switch hooked up,runs good with switch unhooked.how much testing do you want?

Lol, I gotcha. I'm thinking a little deeper though. Poor continuity through the switch, poor ground, open circuit in a wire, etc. I'm asking if there's a common issue with these, or if I should stop trying to figure it out in that detail and replace it?

Back