Logo

2006 honda 225 intermittent misfire

hammy v

2100 hours twice now ran motor at 3000 rpm for 45 minutes parked for <br>1 hour ran for 30 minutes at 3000 rpm then tried to push to full thottle<br>motor started running bad shaking/misfire i think.Tried checking codes<br>but red check engine does not come on key on engine off.Any clues thanks<br>kenny

Could be any number of things. It's probably a fuel feed issue, since it is running well at 3000 rpm and below. When is the last time you changed the high pressure fuel filter. These engines are very sensitive to a clogged HP filter. How many hours on the plugs?

Check for codes anyway. It's easy to do.

Basic diagnostics - When engine acts up, feel the primer bulb. If it is partially collapsed, you have a clog in your fuel tank vent or the pick up tube in your tank. When acting up, rapidly pump the primer bulb. If that helps, you may have a fuel line restriction or a failing low pressure fuel pump. When acting up, check the level of fuel in the low pressure fuel filter bowl - it should be at least 1/4 full.

i have changed hp filter. very intermittent problem. hope that fixed it but wanted to check for codes.
i know how to short and count the codes but mil not coming on.
key on engine off two bottom lights on 4 light panel not coming on.my guess is ecm but not sure about the wiring to the lights.
thanks i can't make heads or tails of honda schematic on the panel lights.

Well, without the MIL light working, you can't pull codes using the shunting procedure. If you can get to the wires to the bulbs in your key switch, put 12 volts on the positive terminal and see if they light up. If not, replace the bulbs. If so, then check the wiring and especially the connectors.

Here is the electrical diagram for a duel engine set-up: View attachment Electrical Diagram Honda Digital Gauges Dual engines.pdf

You should be able to easily figure it out for a single engine set up.

well problem is full time now. starts to act up above 3000 rpm if u watch the tach it will start jumping from 3k to 2300 under load.

here are some things i have tried. new filters, checked compression 185 to 190 new plugs,pulled injectors and tested and spray good swapped all coils and ecm to starboard motor
when go to take off (load up motor it fails) not sure if this is a misfire or what. not sure where to go next.thanks

Have you gone through the basics I posted in #2 above? If so, anything there?

Think through this. You said that the engine runs well under 3000 rpm. You've eliminated the ECU, compression issues, and plug issues, so it is highly likely it's a fuel feed issue.

At higher rev's, the engine is trying to draw more fuel through the system and somewhere that fuel is either being blocked or air is getting into the system. Check all of the fuel lines for crimps. Check especially where the main fuel line enters the engine compartment through that big black grommet. Remove the top cover over that grommet to inspect both sides. It has been reported on this forum that corrosion builds up in that area and restricts the fuel line.

Get a clear plastic hose with the same inside diameter as the current fuel hose and run it from the primer bulb directly to the on board fuel water separator. Run the engine until it acts up and look for air bubbles. If none, run the clear plastic hose from the outlet on the LP fuel pump directly to the cut-off solenoid next to the LP fuel pump and repeat the procedure. Then, run that clear plastic hose directly to the LP fuel pump, bypassing the solenoid and repeat.

If nothing there, then test fuel pressure at the pressure relief bolt on top of the HP fuel filter cover. You will need a 6 mm adapter for your fuel gauge. Spec is 41 to 48 psi at idle with the vacuum line pulled off the regulator and clamped shut. There is a fuel screen on that pressure regulator return hose. Check that.

There is also a fuel screen on the bottom of the fuel pump insulator. It's a PITA to remove and if you do, have a new one on hand to replace it. See #29 at
https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...225ak0-la-2007-and-later/vapor-separator-assy

Finally, there is a fuel screen on the port fuel rail. Check that and possibly replace. See #4 at:
https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...bf225ak0-la-2007-and-later/fuel-pipe-injector

ok i got back to work on the boat today. I replaced fuel line from water separator to fuel tank old and needed doing. I checked fuel pressure at pump 44lb with vacuum line to reg. plugged. boat is still in the water i am trying to find out whats going on before it gets pulled and blocked. with fuel pressure being good will this rule out filters and screens? i know i am over looking something.

Hi hammy,

You say it falls flat when you load it. Just a thought about that:

The load sensor for these engines is the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor. It needs a reliable vacuum signal from the intake manifold. Make sure that it is properly connected to the manifold...especially if the connection is via a piece of vacuum tubing.

Good luck.

here is the up date running motor at the dock with fuel pressure gauge hooked vacuum line plugged i have good fuel pressure.
yesterday hooked up fuel gauge and ran down the bay load on the motor fuel pressure fell off 28 to 30 psi.looks like i am pulling for the year and drilling out rusty bolt to get vapor separator out and apart. i will check fuel rail screens at that time.thanks for the help.

Back