Logo

Default 40 HP Evinrude, 1990, Model VE40TLESR, battery charging system not working adequately

I changed the voltage rectifier on this engine already, but I still only get about 12 VDC (measured across the battery leads) when running the motor at any RPM with the navigation lights on, which eventually drains the battery. I get up to 13 VDC with the lights off.
    What is the next thing to look at?
    Is it the stator assembly, and if so what voltage should I be getting out of it where it connects to the rectifier?
    I am told the stator produces an AC voltage.

Default Re: 40 HP Evinrude, 1990, Model VE40TLESR, battery charging system not working adequately

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie84 View Post
    I changed the voltage rectifier on this engine already, but I still only get about 12 VDC (measured across the battery leads) when running the motor at any RPM with the navigation lights on, which eventually drains the battery. I get up to 13 VDC with the lights off.
    What is the next thing to look at?
    Is it the stator assembly, and if so what voltage should I be getting out of it where it connects to the rectifier?
    I am told the stator produces an AC voltage.
    Boat wiring.
    Ac volts is correct.
    This system only produces five amps at full throttle,
    Check boat wiring,condition of battery

Default Re: 40 HP Evinrude, 1990, Model VE40TLESR, battery charging system not working adequately

If your setup incorporates a tachometer... and the tachometer is functioning properly, the charging system is okay.

And if the charging system is okay, then as RwButler insinuates, I'd suspect a failing battery.
    We occasionally have questions. If you fail to answer, it may affect ours.

You only get out of a battery what you put in the battery. So how many amps are you pulling out of the battery? I haven't looked the model number up, but does it have power trim?

Is your 12VDC an accurate measurement? That's low for a fully charged battery.

Considered changing the light bulbs to LED?

Thanks to all for your help.