Logo

1994 OMC Turbjet confusion (evinrude/Johnson 115)

BHarris

Hello all,
I’ve got a 1994 Boston Whaler Rage 15 with the OMC TurboJet 115. It’s had its fair share of issues that have been addressed. Over the past three months I have replaced the ENTIRE ignition system and rebuilt the carbs.

Recently it has developed a strange combination of issues. 1) the tach no longer works and it’s brand new so it’s not the tach itself. 2) the engine is very hard to start. 3) the motor randomly loses revs at speed and will just die then won’t start. I’m at a complete loss so any help would be appreciated!

These whaler rages are so fun and I hate to see mine sit around and add to their bad reputation. If anyone has any comments or suggestions that would greatly appreciated, thank you!

c4727bad-036a-47d4-8b6a-121e567ef500

Do not spend any coins till you do a compression test on this crossflow engine.----Post your numbers here.----These engines are famous for broken piston rings !

Gotcha, I didn’t have a compression tester over the weekend but I pulled the plugs and they all look good. Would that provide any indication to the cylinders compression?

The spark plugs won't tell you much about the likely compression numbers you'll get. You'll want to get or borrow a compression tester.

Just got home from pulling the boat out of the water. It was very reluctant to start, ran rough, low on power, died once for no obvious reason, and the tach still does not work. Looks like I’m going to have a long day tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted. :confused:

Welp I just did the compression test and sure enough the right bank has low compression, 30psi on the top cylinder and 85psi on the bottom.

Pull the cylinder head. It could be just a blown head gasket.

That's the plan and what I'm hoping for. I spent all morning chasing down an oil leak on a 15 year old Bmw so pulling the head off is this afternoons project.... I need less needy toys.

Sorry for the long time to respond all, I have been swamped with school then had to quarantine away from home for two weeks. I yanked the motor out of the boat and pulled the heads off and found some damage on the head, upper piston, and scoring on the cylinder walls....

So all the electronic parts were not a problem.---Carburetors were not the problem.------You hopefully kept them all for good spares.----Was automatic oil injection in service ?----Tested oil consumption ?-----Or mixing 50:1 on it ?------Broken piston rings is a very common failure.----Every one of those V-4 crossflows will suffer from that ailment!!----Easy fix with 4 new O/S pistons I think.

Last edited:
Yup I have everything stil together just waiting to figure out the best solution. The VRO system seemed to be working fine. I had to fill the tank with oil in what seemed to be regular intervals. And just replacing the pistons and taking the block to a machine shop is all?
So all the electronic parts were not a problem.---Carburetors were not the problem.------You hopefully kept them all for good spares.----Was automatic oil injection in service ?----Tested oil consumption ?-----Or mixing 50:1 on it ?------Broken piston rings is a very common failure.----Every one of those V-4 crossflows will suffer from that ailment!!----Easy fix with 4 new O/S pistons I think.

There are rubber hose inserted in the block.----They are also called diverters.----Water does not go through these hoses.----These hoses guide water around the water jackets for proper cooling.-----Using a shop to do this piston replacement for you might get expensive !!

I did notice two of these diverters in the head, is that how its supposed to be? I thought the same about the $ too. The only thing that I'm going to have a shop do it bore the heads since I can't do it myself. The boat has always been a project so my real goal rn is to fix it so I can sell it for the highest amount. Otherwise I would probably just hang an outboard off the back and not mess around with the crossflow anymore.
There are rubber hose inserted in the block.----They are also called diverters.----Water does not go through these hoses.----These hoses guide water around the water jackets for proper cooling.-----Using a shop to do this piston replacement for you might get expensive !!

It looks like this and usually mounted on wall down low.... was a factory accessory usually added by dealer
shopping
It does not have the factory one but i added a similar setup using a seaflo filter. It was crap and kept on cracking due to the pressure so I diverted it at the end of the summer

Back