Logo

70's Honda BF75K1 7.5HP

Backwoodsman101

Hey guys!

look i picked up this motor a few weeks ago and went to clean the carb. it turns out that the gasket set, and all the parts are discontinued. is there an aftermarket carb or one from another motor that would fit? or should i sell the thing for parts?

Make the gaskets that can not be reused.----Was the motor in running condition ?----Why did you feel that the carburetor needed fixing ?----Your location ?------There are places where you can find used parts for these.----You can get a carburetor kit for say a 1966 model 6 HP Johnson.----So why do the Honda folks do not look after their older products ?----Makes you wonder.

Yep, racerone is correct. There are many methods for making your own gaskets and seal rings. It just depends on how badly you want to get it done.

Most "paper" gaskets can be fashioned from a sheet of fiber gasket material you can get from any auto parts store. You use a ball peen hammer to "press" the material to the surface of the component with a series of soft blows. A hole punch set and a pair of scissors complete the job. It's a bit of an art but not hard to do at all.

Oring fabrication kits are available for making oddly shaped seals.

OR..you can make a good ol' boy like me happy and sell it for parts.

Good luck.

Motor was running, it died onsite and wouldnt start. i figured the easiest thing to check and most likely cause of issues is a carb thats never been cleaned. Im in Vancouver BC. i could probable make the gaskets, ive made bigger ones for cars. However there is a plunger type thing with a rubber cap, and that rubber is all destroyed. its the top of part number 5 on the picture. called the link set.

i am very open to selling it for parts. i only paid $400 CAD for the whole thing
https://imgur.com/HwZRNlh

Attachments

• honda carb.png
    honda carb.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
You paid $400 ?------I think I have picked up old motors like that for a box of beer.-----They are not worth anything because big shops will not work on old motors !

I feel your pain.....

Funny, back when I thought I would be young and strong FOREVER, I bought and sold these old pre 90s Honda outboards a lot. I still have parts stockpiled that I'll probably never get organized now that my back has failed.

But, after looking further at your problem, I realize that I've never opened up a carburetor like the one you have. Actually, I don't think I've ever had issues with the old carbs being the the cause of a no start. It's the later models that I've found to be more problematic so I don't know about that rubber "plunger" you refer to and I'm not finding any references to that carb that are more in depth.

As far as paying $400 Canada for it, it's a matter, mostly, of location as to how these are valued. I'm on the west coast and these old girls fetch $500 to $1000 American depending on condition. There are "parts motors" advertised on the web for $1000 TODAY because people that have them LOVE them! They start easily and are quiet to operate.

However a complete, non starting oldy will usually only bring $100 to $200 out here.

I'm going to check in with my Honda guru that wrote the book on old Honda motorcycles and collectors in Japan to see if he can offer any advice about how to research parts for these.

Can you pull any numbers, letters or manufacturer's logos off the carb and post them?

Other than that, I can only say that there's usually a way around most problems like this and you'll need to keep an open mind about how to find a solution. If you need to build up that plunger to get it working, it will have to be a fuel proof material like NEOPRENE or it won't last very long, will melt and just foul the carb passages.

I'll keep looking and post back here if I find anything that you might be able to use.

Don't give up!

Last edited:
thanks for the help guys. i paid that much for it cause it was running. and i assumed i would be able to get parts for it. (lesson learned)

there is nothing on the carb itself however i do have numbers straight from Honda. :)

motor is a BF75K1 7.5HP

carb: 16100-935-004

gasket set: 16010-920-004

link set: 16017-921-014

as for the "plunger" as i call it, thats probably a bad name. The very top of the link set (which is part number 5 in the attached picture) is a little rubber cap or stopper. that rubber is no good. you remember those old reusable earplugs? kinda look like a rubber mushroom? it looks like that and was stuck into the top of the link set. slightly more difficult to fab up than a gasket.

A very common complaint today and going to be even more so in the future.------" I have this really nice 25 year old outboard , runs great, but parts are no longer available ".

Back