Logo

Motor bogging down

I have a 1992 evinrude 25hp stroke tiller...i was out the other day, motor working fine, then progressively started slowing down, now will not run past idle without bogging down and stalling, starts fine and idles normally. I replaced the fuel pump. Pulled carb, drained the bell, no gunk or cloggs i could see, still having the issue. I'm going to test the compression tomorrow, if it's bad it's new motor time. If it's good, what could be the issue? Plugs and coils are good. I basically checked everything I could before it git dark this evening. My fuel cap and valve are good, primer ball is working properly as well...
Thanks in advance
Billy

Last edited:
It's called an orifice plug on the parts list. #22 on the carb diagram. It's easy to damage trying to take it out and trying to clean it. Someone on this forum recommends using a welding tip cleaner to try to clear the jet. I forgot who.

It is the high speed jet.----It is called an ----ORIFICE PLUG ----in the parts book.----It has a calibrated hole to meter the fuel for full throttle operation !!

I made the special screwdriver.----3/16" diameter shank with end filed to perfectly copy the factory big $$$$ tool.

Back