Logo

Starter Battery cable too big

mdizzl86

Hello, and thanks in advance is you have any advice.

I have a BF90a and I'm moving a stern battery to my console in an old 17 Montauk. I started to remove the old cable, and the engine compartment housing that it feeds through is so tight that I will have to cut the lugs off the cable to get them all the way out. This is not a big deal, but it did make me wonder whether perhaps the new cables might be too thick to fit through. So....upon questioning the manufacturer, I am right. The current cables are just under 0.5 inches and the new cables will be 0.54 inches.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has taken off that rubber housing the cables are fed through? Can I drill the holes larger without hurting the throttle cables? I'm probably making too much of a simple situation but don't want to screw anything up. Thanks!

IMG_1799.JPG

Please note there are 4 small bolts, 2 in the top, 2 in the bottom, that when removed will allow the plate above that grommet to be removed for easy access to the cables and wiring harness.

Hi,

I don't think it's a big deal but you will need to remove the grommet by removing the cover (item 26 in link below) and the retainer plate (item 5). You may need/want to slightly enlarge the groove in the plate as well as enlarging the hole in the grommet.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...90hp/bf90a3-lrta-2003/engine-cover-lower-case

Depending on the age of your outboard, you may consider replacing that grommet if yours isn't completely supple because that is an area/item that gets lots of flex as the motor swivels.

Good luck

Honda BF90A3 LRTA 2003 Engine Cover + Lower Case Diagram

Last edited:
I wanted to thank you guys again.

I've added a couple of pics. They are out of order, though. The last pic shows the too-tight grommet. The middle shows the widening of the grommet using a table skill saw (much easier than the mat knife). And in the end the cables fit. Thanks again!

PS. If anyone notes the crack in my throttle cable and has any helpful comments, please chime in. Cheers! MD

Attachments

• IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1838.JPG
    IMG_1838.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1834.JPG
    IMG_1834.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 24
Well, I call that tool a jig-saw and that particular operation looks hazardous to the fingers.

But you pulled it off nicely and would have probably mentioned any limb loss so....

.... GOOD JOB ;>)

I think I see a bad spot in the cable "collar" piece. Is that the split you're referring to?

If so, and the cable housing doesn't move in and out of that piece it might hold up for some time.

As long as your throttle still works properly I would just keep an eye on it for now and fill that gap with a dab of flexible gasket maker to keep water out.

GOODONYA for sharing!

I'd plan on replacing those cracked cables at the first sign of any stiffness in your controls. Those cracks are due to the amount of time they've spent out in the sun and are a pretty good indicator of impending doom....

Back