Logo

BF-30A Interment Tell Tail Output Flow

Eric33476

I have a BF-30A. Sometimes I will have good output flow from the water pump telltale. Then like yesterday no output at all. I check the impeller expecting to see it chewed up but everything is fine. I reassemble and works ok pumping like a champ. Few days later same thing happens. Impellers are cheap so I will replace it, just wondering if anyone could offer any insight to this?

Thanks,

Eric

Bugs....
They like to build nests (mud) in the outlet.

There's also a chance you have a chunk of crud (probably calcium) in the rubber part of the line coming from the motor, that can't get out through the smaller plastic outlet.

I just take these apart to see what's going on any more.

Alan is correct. It's probably something....twig, pebble, bug....SOMETHING....bouncing around in a passage component.
My "go to" move for this is to remove the hose nipple fitting that screws into the side of the engine block and run the engine in a trashcan. The water force from the pump will eject anything that is trapped behind the fitting in the bypass passage.

Then, before reassembling the fitting, hose and nipples, inspect each one carefully for debris. Most people don't realize how important it is to replace that hose every few seasons as it loses it's flexibility. As it hardens, it tends to trap small items more easily. That hose HAS TO BE soft and supple to allow debris to pass through. It also has to be routed from the engine fitting up through the splash pan and out to the side cover JUST SO. If it's "misrouted" it can be kinked or pinched when the cover is put back on. It's a PAIN to get it hooked up to the cover fitting if it's routed properly.

The rule is: if it's easy to put the hose end on the cover fitting and reattach the cover, then you probably have the hose routed incorrectly. So, pay attention to how it's routed before removal but, keep in mind, it may have been misrouted by someone that was in there before you.

Good luck.

I like the plan regarding removing the nipple from the block and rinsing any crud out. That followed by a good inspection as you're reassembling makes this a great plan.... -Al

Back