Logo

1965 evinrude 40hp.... 1988 bluefin sportsman

rhartman421

Regular Contributor
I picked up below for less than $400. the boat is setup for hydraulic steering. Is it possible to use a 1965 Evinrude on this?

can this motor only work with pulley style steering?

You got me all excited there. At last, a question about hydraulic steering!! I spent 20 years of my life making hydraulic steering systems. But alas, that ain't hydraulic steering, it's just plain ol' Teleflex/SeaStar push-pull cable steering. Yes, it will work with your old motor, with the proper installation kit. But you won't like it. My opinion.

marineengine should have the stuff you need.

Probably gonna need a little more motor. Maybe like a 70 or 75.....big triple. Light and powerful.

Yeah, I was only paying attention to the steering. That's a lot of boat for a 40hp. Looks like it had some kind of V-4 on it before.

Well i have the 1965 evinrude but have a few broken bolts in the front exhaust cover. Is it easier to replace the front exhaust cover with the 12 1/4 threads (how many bolts would be rusted and seized in the process of removing that shroud) or pay a shop to drill and tap 5 new thread holes if they can drill the studs out...

has anyone used nitric acid to dissolve steel in aluminum?

Last edited:
I sure hope its a long shaft motor.

im assuming mine is short shaft it won’t work on the bluefin... I just can’t win haha

here i I am thinking can package it with the boat, what is the length I'm looking for to identify a short shaft or vice versa?

To remove part 309326 #81 does anyone know what i would be faced with?

Last edited:
A long shaft will have a 5" extension spacer between exhaust housing and lower unit--very obvious at a glance

#81 can be a challenge if bolt #85 is broken (they often are). If it is broken, you will have serious problem separating #81 from #73 swivel bracket

Last edited:
Back