Logo

Advise & help 30hp 1991 evenrude

Mike Inky

Contributing Member
Hi clever boaters,
I have a 30hp evenrude, it’s an older motor 1991, but I know most of its history & it’s not had a hard life.
The problem I having is a mystery to me. The motor runs great in the barrel, Starts on the key, first time, idles perfect & will rev up great. The problem happens when I’m on the water? Motor runs A1 until I push the remote to open her up....as soon as the throttle is wide open the motor just stops running...every time the same???
ive rebuilt carb, rebuilt fuel pump, replaced any serviceable parts all with OMC kits ect. All fuel lines are new inc tank.
Its a pain because I’m 2hours away from the water & that’s the only time I can assess the problem 🤔
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Faithfully Mike Inky.

Hi clever boaters,
I have a 30hp evenrude, it’s an older motor 1991, but I know most of its history & it’s not had a hard life.
The problem I having is a mystery to me. The motor runs great in the barrel, Starts on the key, first time, idles perfect & will rev up great. The problem happens when I’m on the water? Motor runs A1 until I push the remote to open her up....as soon as the throttle is wide open the motor just stops running...every time the same???
ive rebuilt carb, rebuilt fuel pump, replaced any serviceable parts all with OMC kits ect. All fuel lines are new inc tank.
Its a pain because I’m 2hours away from the water & that’s the only time I can assess the problem 🤔
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Faithfully Mike Inky.
Does it start right back up?
Only at 100% throttle, still runs at 95%?

Pretty sure.you have the UFI ignition so everything is under the flywheel. Look at those wires coming out under the flywheel.

Yehh the motor has the under flywheel ignition. And you know what, that seems absolutely logical! Sorry to complicate the situation, but Let me explain.....in an attempt to make the motor more reliable I decided to replace the ignition. I had previously thought to carefully check the ignition wires coming from under the flywheel & all appeared to be fine. I still decided to replace the ignition. At the time I was unable to obtain the factory fitted ignition, but there was a part number alternative, which I bought. The instructions where very clear & the part was changed with an under flywheel trigger & the rest of the electronics mounted on the engine. There was absolutely no question as to this being the rite part for my motor.
so with brand new ignition fitted the engine ran perfectly In the barrel, but on the water the problem....shut down at wot?
ive run all test I could on ignition....tested coils, replaced leads, tested spark....jumping adequate gap.
i do intend to get it on the water with the remote control electric connector disconnected, to eliminate any fault there, but until I’m on the water I’ll have to wait.
ive checked all electrical connections & everything seems perfect.
im near certain it’s electric, but again without testing on the water I’m not 100% I intend to try a spray of fuel in the carb when the problem happens, just to eliminate some kind of fuel starvation problem.
I guess I just gotta get on the water & run my tests. I suppose it could be that black kill switch wire earthing out in the remote control or something like that... but everything seems a1 there?
Any advise is fully appreciated.
faithfully Mike

Back