Logo

carb and fuel quesions

Budroe

johnson j110mlcem was runnin poorly.carbs were leaking. rebuilt carbs replaced plastic float bowls with metal ones. started on the muffs sounded pretty good. took to lake run good for a little while then almost quit idled back to the dock plugs all fouled. posted in this forum and the people who were trying to help me suggested i do a compression check. wouldnot start for a warm up compression check. a cold compression check revealed lowest was 85 and highest was 95. let it set a while then decided i would try to determined why plugs were so oily. started checking the fuel tank. it had a mother lode of contaminated oil chemicals and probably water. so removed the fuel sending unit and cleaned the fuel tank twice, cleaned fuel line cleaned carbs again and replaced fuel filters. fueled up with rec gasoline and johnson xd 30 oil now starts and runs pretty good. main problem low idle. it idles smooth but very low. when you shift into gear it will likely die unless you throttle up quickly. questions how to increase the idle slightly? and having problem finding Johnson xd 30 oil. what can i replace it with? would you recommend semi synthetic oil. thank you

Any 2 stroke oil rated TCW III will do.------The compression test results are a concern.-------I would remove the 4 bypass covers 6 screws each.---To inspect pistons and rings.----Do the lowest reading cylinder first.----Will perhaps cost you a $2.00 for a new gasket.

Back