Logo

Log style riser gaskets

franks

Came across some elbow riser gaskets that are black and thin, they are not fibrous but solid and stiff. They have the part number printed on them in white.

Anyone seen these before? Anyone ever used this style before? Any Good??

Never seen what you described...the gasket needs to 'give' some in order to seal the surfaces its sandwiched between...otherwise, it won't do very well...

By chance is this a block-off-plate, and not a gasket?
Block-off-plates will be absent any seawater transfer ports.
Gaskets will include the seawater transfer port openings.

As Mark says, the gasket must be compressible in order to become sandwiched and seal the surfaces.
Whereas a block-off-plate needs gaskets on either side of it.

Nope not a block off plate I have both the 3 hole and 1 hole style. The 3 hole has the Osco trade name and part number 6108 printed on them in white. Agree with Mark above that they do not appear to have much give in them to compress out any surface irregularity. If ever a gasket needed some Permitex #3 to help seal this seems to be one.

Well, now that you sent a part number I looked it up and learned more about these gaskets than I cared to know. Although some of the "tech tips" advised not to do things the way I learned (from this forum) in the past, i.e. don't scrape the paint off of the mating surface, use acetone.

Here is a link:http://www.sealandpower.com/Exhaust Systems/Osco Tech Tips(6).pdf

Not sure how to post it as a true link but the tech savvy among you can figure it out.

I'm home and miss my boat.

Back