Logo

Change engine oill and filter before or after winter storage?

My 25 hp 4 stroke Merc (1998, carbureted, Big Foot --- great so far) is the first 4 stroke outboard I have ever owned, so I have never had to change oil and filters on 2 stroke engines over the years.

With 4 stroke motors, should the engine oil and filter be changed BEFORE winter storage (which is approaching sooner that I'd like here in New England) or in the Spring AFTER winter storage? Why? Any other 4 stroke storage prep issues or suggestions that I should be aware of?

I always change the lower unit / gearcase oil in the fall before winter storage, so I can (never have, knock on wood) discover any water intrusion BEFORE it could freeze and cause cracking in the lower unit, but changing engine oil and filter is a new obligation for me, this being my first a 4 stroke motor. Expert advice welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Before....you want to remove the 'crud' that the oil and filter has collected (doing one of many jobs) so it doesn't sit in the engine all winter...

Always before. Why let the acid that forms take all winter to create sludge and attack the metal of your engine?

Jeff

Back