Logo

1988 Force 35 357R8B

Yazhere1

Am reworking this Force back to life. It has been sitting for a number of years. I have given the motor a good cleaning, replaced the spark plugs and carburetor needle and gasket. The impeller was changed along with the lower seal under the water pump. The lower unit gear oil was changed along with the propeller. Overall not bad condition for sitting in pine needles in the outside for years.

I've taken it out on the water on a Grumman V hull 16 ft. It runs well but I want to change out the thermostat if it has one. I know where it would be located just west of the lower plug.

I have reviewed the parts schematic particular to this 1988 model. The parts schematic lists an available gasket and cover plate but no suggestion of a thermostat.

Question being... Does it have one and if not in the listing, what would it be by part number and where to get it? Generic to all Chrysler /Force models in 1988 - forward years?

First post. Thanks

Your model didn't have a thermo.
Some older models used one, that's
why there is a place for one.

You should have a thermo switch that
when the motor gets hot it sounds an
alarm/buzzer.

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware of the thermo switch and know that it works through the trials of the rework in the barrel initially.

Grounding the sensor makes the alarm sound off.
99% of the buzzers cant be heard, I replaced
mine with a motorcycle horn.

Good idea on the motorcycle horn.I have a generic push button horn mounted on the console not knowing the over heat buzzer was mounted under the console. So when tuning this old Force in the barrel, it was overheating and thought the horn was going off because of the aged wiring. Lucky the Force was smoking excessively in the barrel and had to shut it down. Latest repair was the diaphragm in the fuel pump. The removed diaphragm had its lower section cracked almost in half. Telltale to going there was uncontrollable carburetor and throttle settings even after rebuild. There was no leaking at the fuel pump but excessive fuel to the bowl.

Last edited:
Back