Logo

2014 Mercury 150 HP 4 stroke, loss of power after it warms up

Cruicer

Just pick up a 2014 20" Monterey w/ a 2014 Merc 150 Outboard 4 stroke back in May. She has ran FINE all season long; bought it with 124 hours now has 198, just this past weekend I noticed I couldn't get her over 3400 RPMs, I took her to a certified Mercury mechanic who said I had a loose plug and the prop sleeve was bad, swapped out all 4 spark plus and the prop sleeve. Put it on the dyno and was told she should be good to go. Surprise surprise went for a ride tonight and at first she ran great, up to 4200 rpm with no issue...hit a no wake zone, slowed down hit it again past the no wake, again bat out of hell...no issue, ran for about 500 yards and started dropping RPMs again. Turned around came back through the no wakes, hit it up to 4000 RPMs and just watched it drop...3950, 3800, down to about 3650 without touching the throttle, before I had to slow down for no wake. Seems like when she warms up, is when I have the issue or when I get on it. I had the throttle fully opened and wouldn't go over 3650 / 3700 RPMs.

Ideas / suggestion that I might try before I take it back to the guy I took it to the first time. Going to try the water / fuel separate along with the fuel filter, anything else simple I can try?

Back