Logo

1974 50hp no Spark

bobs whiskers

It is a model 50ESL74M and I have no spark to the plugs. If I remove the coil wires from the power back and check the terminals with a test light with the engine spinning I get a light. If I reconnect the wores forn the coil I get no Light. If I remove the ground wires form the coils I can get a light again but no spark to the plugs. Am I safe in thinking I have a bad power pack?

Amazon has them for $100.00 but if there is something else causing the problem I hate to spend the money on a Power Pack. That's money I could use for new Fishing equipment. lol

It is a model 50ESL74M and I have no spark to the plugs. If I remove the coil wires from the power back and check the terminals with a test light with the engine spinning I get a light. If I reconnect the wores forn the coil I get no Light. If I remove the ground wires form the coils I can get a light again but no spark to the plugs. Am I safe in thinking I have a bad power pack?

Maybe, maybe not. I'm predicting not. Let us know.

I took the plugs out and laid them against the motor and I have spark. So tried it with the spark testers just for grins and giggles and have a great blue spark. Shot some brake clean into the carbs and it fired right up. All this after I changed the Coils,,,who would have figured.
Thanks for all the comments and help

How could all coils have gone together? Don't get too far from the dock just yet, friend. If it quits again try disconnecting black/yellow at pack.

If I remove the coil wires from the power back and check the terminals with a test light with the engine spinning I get a light.
You cannot test this with a test light despite the Boobtube videos....

Yes some of the videos are misleading. One really needs to pick and choose which ones to believe or follow. Have you seen the one where the guy is flushing out his lead/acid battery? Sure it might work, but what is the condition of the plates???? And how long will it last? Video doesn't show what his pants and shirt look like after a laundry day. Gotta understand that it probably isn't gonna be worth the effort anyway.

Last edited:
One video of a guy trying to hammer the tapered dowels out of a V-4 block in the wrong direction.----Then used a bigger hammer.-----Then to my surprise he tried the same thing in an other video on an other engine as well.----No way for a novice to be able to judge these video mechanics.

Right on, Racer. I laugh when I see some of those "bimbos". There is some good help out there in video land, you and I can see when to exit, but sadly, many others cannot.

Back