Logo

1983 Johnson 150, no ignition

Thanksinadvance

Hey guys, I have a 1983 Johnson 150 hooked up to a Aquasport 200 recently purchased and am working on, have a lot to learn about outboards so thank you in advance, I have the old wiring harness and all of the wiring looks complete all the way to an ignition switch, nothing happens when I turn the key, I have jumped the starter solenoid to see if I could get it to turn, the bendix is spinning but not lifting and if I manually lift it I can only get a half rotation out of the wheel before it doesn’t have the power to move it, I’m aware this may be as a result of having loose or smaller gauge wire than I need, Need to figure out the switch to lock my terminals in correctly. I plan on pickling the motor but am under the impression it shouldn’t be much easier to move than it is. Trying to figure out which direction I should go getting a switch wired in,Look forward to learning and thank you if you have some guidance to offer.plugs came out Wd went in, carbs look great, in neutral. J150TLCTB

Do you have a volt/ohm meter and know how to use it?
What is the voltage at the battery post
What is the voltage at the starter solenoid,using the block for ground?
What are these voltages while cranking?

Load test the battery.----Inspect battery cables.----Take starter apart for inspection / ohm test from commutator to shaft.----Should read infinity on a digital meter.

Yes I have the battery at the back right now.I wired in the neutral safety switch correctly and am getting a click out of the solenoid at least half the time and the starter to spin the other, only getting 11.7 volts to the starter and this is either not enough to lift the bendix or I will need to replace it, guessing I need to clean my grounds up to get it turning every time.12.7 at the battery post before I turn the key, and holding above 12 when I am turning.

Back