Logo

1989 Johnson V4 120 looper quickstart stuck on

pontichev

1989 Johnson V4 120 hp looper
The motor goes into quickstart mode even when warm. I replaced the switch, still goes into quickstart at random.
I grounded the wire to the powerpack that goes to the wh/bk wire on the switch, has no effect. I stripped the wire back before the connector and grounded it there to make sure it was not a bad connector. Pulled flyweel and check for loose magnets, all good. No voltage at yellow/red wire on starter solenoid when running. When in quickstart the timing at idle is 4deg BTDC, when quickstart mode drops out at random the timing is 4deg ATDC. This is happening with no change in throttle position and timer base snug against idle stop. Any ideas?

To add more info. Every once in a while the tach will read 1000 rpms more than the engine is really going. No change in throttle or boat speed. This happens at idle also, 1100 but tach will read 2500. This just comes and goes. Not always at the same time quickstart gets stuck on. The voltage after the battery gets charged goes up to 16 volts sometimes. This is a new battery. Only happens when battery is recharged from starting and boat is running at speed.

I changed the power pack and rectifier. Quickstart mode is now off after warm-up, problem solved. Thanks.

I need some advice on idle timing. the Seloc book I have says throttle pickup timing spec is 3-5 deg before TDC.
Current timing on the motor is 5 deg before TDC when in quickstart mode and it drops to 5 deg after TDC with
quickstart mode off. Is this the correct?
Model J120TLCEM 1989 V4 120 HP

I changed the power pack and rectifier. Quickstart mode is now off after warm-up, problem solved. Thanks.

I need some advice on idle timing. the Seloc book I have says throttle pickup timing spec is 3-5 deg before TDC.
Current timing on the motor is 5 deg before TDC when in quickstart mode and it drops to 5 deg after TDC with
quickstart mode off. Is this the correct?
Its not IDLE timing,

I changed the power pack and rectifier. Quickstart mode is now off after warm-up, problem solved. Thanks.<br>
<br>
I need some advice on idle timing. the Seloc book I have says throttle pickup timing spec is 3-5 deg before TDC.<br>
Current timing on the motor is 5 deg before TDC when in quickstart mode and it drops to 5 deg after TDC with<br>
quickstart mode off. Is this the correct?<br>
<br>
Its not IDLE  timing,

Back