Logo

85 mercury 50 hp carb/gas

Toab-boat

Boaters,

was wondering if gas should come out of the jet (screw under the mixture screw) when priming? Not a drip a stream. Walbro carbs mainly the lower one shoots more.

thanks

During normal operation of the manual pump ( primer bulb ) no fuel should leak out of carburetors.-----But if you were the high school wrestling champ you might be able to force the float valve open to cause a leak.

Haha well thanks.

maybe someone can answer this...

when I prime the ball gets hard, but upon the release I hear what sounds like air sucking in between the ball and motor. Does it suck in air to be able to pump again or shouldn’t hear any sound of what may be air?

thanms

It should not suck air to pump again.--------It only sucks fuel from the tank !--------Perhaps you are hearing air going into the tank as fuel is pumped out.-----Time to check all hoses and fittings.-------Time to do some reading mate.

Racerone thanks, I do read believe lol...

got another question on this, so I checked all fuel lines and primer, blowing air and such and primer ball stayed hard on separate tank...

now the primer don’t get hard connected, it sounds like air? Coming through toP carb, just not creating a suction to get gas flowing

if anyone has any input i appreciate

Moreover, the fuel filter does not fill up, when the process of bulb being released a sound seems to come from what I believe to be the carburetor. As in air being sucked back. I understand the primer should pump gas regardless, it does work when I disconnected it and pumped into a spare tank, just not when it’s connected to the fuel filter.

the line to fuel filter does not have a leak as well it was tested. And yes arrow is pointing towards the engine. Vertical and horizontal both attempted. When I pump into spare tank and put finger at end of fuel line to resemble full carb the bulb stays hard and has pours out upon release. Seems to happen when attached to motor. The fuel lines have no special connectors and hose clamps are being used

thanks

Take carburetors apart.----Inspect float valves.----Inspect floats as they may be leaking and do not " float " properly anymore.

Ok update on carb rebuild... the primer bulb now gets hard. Now I can’t seem to get the bottom carb from not leaking from bowl.
tried 2 different gaskets
tried lowering the float as a previous thread suggested
both the gaskets on the bowl screw are there
tried numerous times with carbs not attached
I did not try them individually top does not leak

i think I tested the float for leaks but didn’t see any and not sure if that’s a cause

any assistance helps

thanks in advance

Back