Logo

225 1987 johnson miss , hesitation at mid range rpm

gradywhiteman

Contributing Member
when trying to get on plane i get a miss and for lack of a better term it breaks up before smoothing out and reaching planing rpm. it starts to miss at about 2800 to about 3500. all electronics are new, coils, powerpacks, timer base, stator. compression (cold) port 110, starboard 100. also a new v.r.o. any ideas on what could cause this? thanks, jim

Which plug ya using? Did ya clean the carbs? Did ya clean the recirc valves as this motor has the "teacup" intakes. Does it do it everytime or is ok if you run it,back to idle the take off again?

cam roller is good, i did the sync and link, plugs are about a month old , they are champions, fuel filter is new this season, i rebuilt the carbs which came from my old 225 three years ago , they have very little hours on them, i hope to be able to get some decent water this weekend to be able to get full throttle. i put the last powerpack on last weekend but it was to rough to test. what are the recirc valves, first time i heard of them.

You got other problems if only 4900RPM...to clean valves...remove them and attach small piece of hose and rinse out with power tune.

Pappy, maybe that's similar stuff, the CRC line is quite extensive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200913-094317.jpg
    Screenshot_20200913-094317.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Get some CRC Engine Tune, pull your plugs. Spray the can into all of the cylinders. (A decent amount, I normally spray until it leaks about the plug hole). Reinstall your plugs. Let the motor sit overnight. Next day when you fire it up, it will smoke like crazy, but it’ll clean all (or most) of the carbon out of the engine. Motor should sound better and will more then likely solve your issue. Even if it doesn’t solve your issue; it’s still great for your motor.

this motor has maybe 10 -15 hours on it, do you think there would be carbon buildup? faztbullet this is one of your powerheads, i found a canceled check to pappys marine service dated jan 2013 in some of the paperwork i got with the motor. it sat in the sellers garage since then. he sold the boat he was going to put it on.

No carbon if that many hours even with double oil. Index the flywheel and check timing on all cylinders.. miss ,hesitation and lack of RPM are ignition related.

when i first put it in the water i couldn't get past 3400 rpm . every time i did something it improved. the guy i bought it from put a lot of used parts on it just to get it running to sell i think. i'll give a quick rundown of what i did. primer solenoid, thermostats, put my reed boxes in from my old 225 because i had a bad reed which was a composite reed. my carbs, and all ignition parts except timer base and stator which are new. i did index the flywheel when i did sync and link. i timed it using the joe reeves method. how do i check timing on all cylinders?

22 gradywhite tournament. sorry for the delay responding. my wife is a teacher and she is on the computer constantly with this distance learning.

Back