Logo

1989 60 Hp Evinrude

Steve1978

Hello Everyone,

Looking for some technical guidance on my outboard please. Been using in lightly this year in the salt water ponds on the southern coast of RI. Went to go for a little ride this past weekend, it seemed to start OK as usual, seemed to be OK, got it out of the water to warm it up and it started to bog down then stall. Started it back up, same thing, bogged down then stall. So I ran home and came back with new fuel filters. Replaced the small one in the cowl of the engine and also a dewatering/fuel filter on the boat. Started it up, seems to start OK, was running rough still, seemed to smoke a little more than usual, then stalled. I then tried hooking it up to a 2.5 Gal portable gas/oil tank of fresh mix, same thing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I've been maintaining this engine for 20 years now, on this I'm stumped.

Thanks for the information, I had no idea they needed to be replaced that often. I guess I was mistakenly thinking that since the tell-tale was always squirting strong and heavy the impeller was OK.

Should be around 115 / 120 PSI.----And does the tell tale hose come off the side of the block or off the top ?----Oil injection in service and tested ?-----Or bypassed and running at 50:1 mix ?

There was a service bulletin that came out in 1994 to move the tell tale hose to the top of the block.------Model # of your 89 motor is ?

Low compression. Before you scrap the motor, maybe try another gauge. All spark plugs out with a nice fast crank should build full compression in five to six spins/revolutions.

I tried another gauge, same results, all 3 cylinders are roughly 55 PSI.

So in your professional opinion, what would you say caused this problem?

Removing the cylinder head for inspection would be my next step.----That should reveal what if anything is wrong !----Head gasket is cheap.

That will tell the story. With VRO always up and running, three cylinders all low and very close compression, never overheated......still hard to say. Was it stored for awhile? Cylinders not fogged with oil.....rings stuck, or cylinders got rusty.

I've been running this engine for 20 years, and I've kept records of everything I've done to it. In July of 2000 we had just left the launch and the horn went off, back on the trailer it went, thinking it was overheating. I then replaced the pump assy, and thermostat. I even pulled off the head, all appeared to be ok, no blockage in the water jacket, head gasket seemed fine, cylinders were clean and smooth, replaced the head gasket with new one. Later that summer the horn sounded again, I replaced the thermostat again no luck, then I replaced the temperature switch per some advice from "Johnson OMC technical". Bit of a history lesson there but this seemed to solve the problem with the horn.
I fog the cylinders using the OMC Fogging Oil (Shrader Valve Type) every fall before putting it away for the winter, it's never been stored for longer periods since I've owned it.

I'm gonna remove the head tonight and let you know how things look. I appreciate your help very much.

Got the head off, the 20 year old head gasket looks pretty good. I don't see any signs of it being blown anywhere. The 3 cylinders are pretty smooth, they have like a glazed darkened surface, no noticeable damage.
I've attempted to attach some photos for you, not sure if they made it.

Back