Logo

200 Ocean Runner Voltage Regulator

Cable Mariner

My 200 Ocean runner with a new Voltage Regulator, Stator and power Pack just burned up the new CDI regulator after about 6-7 hours of running time. I hav since obtained a used OEM regulator from my local outboard salvage yard which ohmed out OK and installed it back on the motor. Battery connections were tight and I went through a good many connections and wire brushed and sanded to make the metal clean and bright. After inspecting about the only thing I could find is the battery cables which I believe may be the original cables at 23 years old. I peeled back the boot ion the end of one of the positive cables to find green corrosion. So, I have order 2 new positive battery cables and a negative cable, and Blue Sea Systems Add a Battery Kit Plus in case the problem might be in the old Perko battery switch contacts (plus I wanted a built in charger). I'm going to change out the SS Nut and lock washers for Nyloc nuts and and Star Washers. Keeping my fingers that this will help to make sure it all holds and doesn't smoke another regulator. Am I missing anything here? Oh, and for what it's worth the Regulator that smoked was a CDI. I went online to find reviews of the CDI regulators for my engine and the few I found were negative reviews....ones that similarly burned up within a short period of time after installing.

IMG_20200908_104844.jpg

IMG_20200908_121456.jpg

OK so I replaced the battery cables, dressed all of my connections with a dremel tool and mini wire brush until all were shiny everything is tight with nyloc nuts and and star washers. After getting everything back together with a new regulator I have a charge, tach is rock solid steady (not jumpy like before). I decided to test for attenuation. I get 14.35 VDC at the motor, and 14.32 VDC at the battery. which means I am showing 0.03 VDC attenuation through the cables from the motor, the Guest Battery Switch, and the new cable from the switch to battery. I felt the regulator after running at idle and it and the red and yellow wires did not seem hot at all.

What do you guys think? Is 0.03 VDC an acceptable line loss? I have a new Blue Sea Systems Add a Battery Kit Plus on the way this includes a new switch, and charger with built-in ACR, and a charging monitor I have heard that the cheap $30 battery switches (like my old Guest switch) can be a source of charging issues especially as they age. So, I elected to go all the way and make sure my charging system is 100%. This gets expensive fast so I don't want to be pouring money into a black hole.

Back