Logo

1984 Merc 50 hp 2-stroke, before delving further

Qbanredneck

Contributing Member
Hi all, I recently cleaned carbs, the boat ranmuch better, hit full rpms. Recently though don’t go past 4,000 rpm. The sparkdoes tester meet requirement, compression 120 all four cylinders.

I noticedyesterday that some drops of fuel coming out of what I believe to be throttleshaft. I’m thinking may need to redo carbs. It honestly feels like the motornot running on all cylinders.

I also noticed some exhaust coming from the frontof the motor where power head and lower unit meet. Without Getting into replacingthe gasket can the motor still run at full rpm? In order to see if the carbsare the problem first? before having to remove powerhead

Boat starts immediately every time and idles just fine.Hole shot seems to be decent, just don’t go over 4000 rpm.

***on a side note when I lift up my fishing chair which is on a wood board to getto fuel tank while boats running. It being right in front of the motor the boatdrops a bit of rpm. I’m thinking it has to do with air reaching the motor.

I redid fuel lines while cleaning carbs.

i don’t notice any real big difference removing the cowling and it getting morerpms while on the water.

i do noticed a slight surge like the boat wants to get more speed just doesn’t.Carb?

Possibly, but i'll bet your motor has way too much prop for the application.

What is your prop, and describe your boat?

Jeff

Back