Logo

compatability 2005 4.3 gxi volvo penta engine with a 2010 volvo sx-a 1.97 leg drive

Kauai Adrian

Aloha,

I am hoping to have a smooth hookup and no issue compatibility with connecting a 2010 volvo sx-a leg to my 2005 4.3 gxi volvo penta engine. The boat is a 1998 seaswirl cuddy cabin cruiser.

Thoughts on how this will work out for me greatly appreciated.

We need more info.
Boat size/length/weight???
Are you installing the complete SX-A 1.97:1 stern drive system???
Which engine was the drive removed from behind???

Not sure the exact drive that was on it, previous owner broke it trying to take it off. So I am left with the trim arm bell housing etc, but very worn down and cant see anything for numbers or model. Think it was an SX-M maybe.

1998 Seaswirl Cuddy Cabin Cruiser - Boat size = 25' 250 aft / weight = 5750 lbs.

I am just installing the leg, there is an existing bell housing and trim plate etc that look almost exactly like the SX-A setup.

The Engine the drive was removed from was a 3.0 volvo penta

If you are trying to mate a V6 engine to a drive that was on a 4... STOP.... The drives are differerent ratios for 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines... and.... a 4.3 V6 engine on a 5750 lb boat is unlikely to make you happy.

Not only that the SXM and SXA transom mounts are not the same. You either have to find a good used SXM to replace the original or pull the engine and replace the entire SXM transom mount with the SXA. Personally unless I had to pull the engine I’d started looking for a good used SXM drive and whatever else the previous owner broke (pivot housing). There are a # on eBay if you look. That’s why you remove the drive each season as regular maintenance! They get stuck because the bellows leaked and now you’re in a world of hurt $$$$$

Back