Logo

5.0L Brovo II Lube Monitor Leak

KY_Stardust

Hello, Boat is new to me. 1999 Stardust Houseboat, single 5.0L Mercruiser Brovo II. Need help.
If I fill the Lube Monitor all the oil will leak out into the bilge. It's not leaking at the Monitor tank or the hose. If must be where the hose connects to the lower unit. Is there a way to fix this without pulling the boat? Has anyone seen a a leak at this location?

Thanks

The hose connects to a barb fitting that is more or less a thru-bulkhead type of plumbing connector. It is a challenge to reach with the engine in place unless you have tiny monkey arms. refer to this drawing:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...-two/0w250000-up/gear-lube-monitor-components

These parts are plastic and subject to cracking under the stress of time and vibration
If it's like the drawing, then you might get away with repairing it without taking the boat out of the water but if the connector that passes through the gimbal ring is no good, then yes you will have to take the gimbal ring off which means pulling the boat.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I will try and reach the fitting. If I can't fix in the water. Will it hurt the lower unit to run without the monitor connected?

Back