Logo

1984 470 Need Correct Size Pulley

philipdru

Hey yall. Here's one for you. The pulley on the front of my balancer sticks out too far by a half inch or so causing the belt to the alternator to run at a bit of an angle further causing the alternator bracket to break every year or so.

(Or: My alternator bracket doesn't stick out far enough causing the belt to run at an angle etc.)

So I'm wondering if yall know where I can find a broad selection of pulley sizes -- marineengine support says it's an add-on so they don't know where to look.

Alternatively -- sorry for the pun -- maybe I should just add washers or shims behind the bracket, but that seems as likely to cause vibration and breakage as the crooked belt, no?

Thanks any and all for the advice!

Last edited:
Sounds like the Breezeworks unit. Check to mak sure no one added washers behind the pully. If not, next best thing is to shim out the alt bracket to match the pully.
It could also be because when they removed the stator and magnets the harmonic balancer was not installed all the way on the crankshaft

Thanks!

-the Breezeworks unit? What's that?

-If the balancer is not installed all the way on the crankshaft, how can I tell/fix it?

a alt conversion using an additional pully added to the balancer
SIE18-5953-1.jpg

Ah. Yes, it's very similar to that. The bracket and alternator come from Wagner Products in Missouri. Not sure about the pulley.

I guess I would need a machine shop to tell me if my balancer is not on all the way?

Okay, as long as I'm at it, is there anything I could use for a shim for the alternator bracket that would absorb some of the vibration and take stress off the aluminum?

Back