Logo

Crank but no start after running well all day - no fuel from injectors - 2000 5.7l EFI

Longarms11

[FONT=&quot]Hi all - I have a 2000 5.7l EFI Mercruiser that will crank strong but won’t start. I took the flame arrestor off and noticed that the injectors aren’t shooting any fuel into the throttle body. I do hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to on/run.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Boat has run well all summer, and was running great this weekend. After a few rounds of skiing, picked a spot to anchor down, but then it never wanted to start after that. Was really hot in my area so thought maybe I was a vapor-lock victim. Sat there with the engine compartment open for an hour and still no luck. Checked today, still no luck. Just cranking - no fuel spraying into throttle body.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Things I’ve done so far:
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- verified the safety switch is set to run
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- visually checked connections.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- new plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil in summer ‘19.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- didn’t check for spark simply because there’s no fuel spraying so didn’t think spark is my issue.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- haven’t checked that I’m getting fuel pressure to the injectors yet. Read that the EFI systems require a special Schrader valve to do this??
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any suggestions? Crappy weather the next few days so might be Friday before I get back out to keep moving on this.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks![/FONT]

check it for spark...if the ECU doesn't receive the reference signal from the distributor, it won't fire the injectors....

check it for spark...if the ECU doesn't receive the reference signal from the distributor, it won't fire the injectors....

Ok makes sense I'll add that to the short list of items to check. If there's not any spark, would that indicate the ignition sensor within the distributor is bad? Or is there a separate test I'll need to perform to diagnose that?

could be pickup coil or module...pickup coil's signal gets 'conditioned' by the module hardware....and then passed to ECU...

You could be out of gas too. Locate the test valve on the fuel rail, it will have a removablr cap, key on, listen for fuel pump, carefully depress valve to check for fuel. If you get a squirt and then air your not pumping fuel

You could be out of gas too. Locate the test valve on the fuel rail, it will have a removablr cap, key on, listen for fuel pump, carefully depress valve to check for fuel. If you get a squirt and then air your not pumping fuel

Do you have any dumbed down directions on where exactly the test valve would be located? For example, closer to the throttle body? Or closer to the fuel pump? I have looked in the manual and didn't find anything there that appeared to discuss a valve along the fuel rail.

Update for anyone that was following. Replaced the ignition sensor that's under the rotor and problem is solved. Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

Back