Logo

Started with too much oil

Googan

Hello, everyone. I overfilled the oil on my new (to me) 2006 Nissan 9.8 hp 4 stroke motor. Not sure quite how overfilled it was. Possibly close to a quart over filled. I started the engine at the launch ramp. Blue smoke came out of the exhaust. Not a ton, just a little cloud of smoke. Ran for about 10 secs, maybe less before it shut off. I tried to restart it but the pull start was stuck. When I removed the dipstick, oil started to flow out. I cleaned up the mess and put everything away and started to read about what may have gone wrong and come to learn that overfilling the oil can cause major problems.
I cannot put into words the amount of shame and embarrassment I feel over this.
Please, I need some help. Did I ruin the motor? What do I do next? Thanks for your help.

Drain the oil back to 1/2 on the dipstick. It only holds maybe 3/4 quart from dead empty. Make sure the neutral safety lockout is not preventing the recoil from working. Then do as recerone suggests... pull the plugs, crank to expel the oil, reinstall the plugs, and expect a LOT of smoke when it finally starts. Then you should be OK... but you may them want to change the NGK DCPR6E plugs.

Back