Logo

1986 Mercury 75hp timing question

Jer0201

Hello! I am new to outboards but have experience on motorcycle cars... I had no power past idle, then non start issues had a mechanic tell me my wiring was old and falling apart needed stator and switch box also big $ quote so I opted to try myself. So, I replaced the stator, trigger, switch box, etc. I put flywheel back with”1” in tdc and pointer at zero. Torqued it down now I’m lost... I am not sure how to check timing as my Clymer manual does not have my correct model the closest I’ve seen is a model they call pre 1984 . I just dont want to get this wrong and am unclear about what’s next. I can’t even check static timing without specs. Lastly the switch box was same number but had an orange wire stamping where I have a black yellow... is this an issue??? Thanks for any help

The WOT fully advanced timing on these is around 27 degrees BTDC. If you can get the motor running, do this: Remove the cam on the top carb that is used to open them(one screw). That will allow you to run the motor wide open at only 3 grand or so. Put a good timing light on it and set the max advance at 27 degrees (or a degree less thanks too the crappy gas we are forced to buy nowadays).

Do that and get back to us.

Jeff

PS: Older boxes use "salmon" (orange) for the kill circuit; newer ones use black with a white tracer.

Thanks!! Surprisingly it fired right up so I will get it timed and ready for fall walleye!!! Forums like this One are truly amazing thanks for your expertise!!

Back