Logo

2018 bf200a max temp for temp alarm

Three fingers

So I'm running the other day and my temp guage says 209 deg. My buddie thinks thats way to hot. My alarm isnt going off at what temp do the alarms
start sounding? I only have 217 hours on the motor and I was running at 4200 rpm. I had full tank of full, bait tank and 200 lbs of ice so a load.

Last edited:
Alarm is triggered at 224F or 107 C. Your running temp is okay up to 100 degrees C with a good load. Just be aware that thermostats should be replaced annually when using the motor in saltwater, don't skimp on that part of the service or you will eventually run into trouble

I've had my BF150 up to 232 at 5000 RPMs with no alarm. And this was immediately after my 1 year and 200 hr maintenance and the impeller was perfect (but replaced). I changed the thermostats in March at 100 hours, and they still looked new so those weren't changed.

Why Honda can't provide accurate information (such as in the user manual) is a mystery. I've called Honda in Atlanta and the person was clueless. I went to the Honda dealer in my area (I don't think a Honda BF150 has ever been sold here) and these people really didn't have a clue. They did offer that the BF150 is a basically an Accord engine, and that block is meant to go up to 240F. And that the sensor might actually be bad - so I shouldn't say they weren't any help. I also Facebook messaged Honda Marine and their answer was to talk to a dealer. I explained the situation, and they asked for my engine serial #'s so I'm hoping that they are going to give me a straight answer this week.

I think I have the same situation, I live on the Washington coast and the nearest dealer is 65 miles away. I try to do my own service and don't want to miss anything. Thank goodness for these forums where I can ask questions. Thanks for the info.

All the EFI honda's should alarm between 107-110 degrees C, I have witnessed this using Dr H as well as NMEA gauge block sensor readings. If the exhaust temp sensors exceed 80 deg C they too will activate the alarm. Cyl head temp should not exceed 70deg C, manifold and cyl head temps can only be read on Dr H. NMEA gauge reading are taken from block temp which is much higher. Hope this helps.

Hey iang - I thought I had pic of the 232 number from my port engine this weekend. But it looks like I only have one of 228 (and 210)at 4600 rpms. The way these engines work it would be logical that 232 would be seen with an additional 400 rpms. Honda hasn't responded back to my question, but I wrote the guy back asking if or when he thought he would hear back from an engineer.

Also - no alarms while running this weekend. I'd like these engines so much better if they ran a little cooler. Or if they would simply supply the thermostat temp and I had no idea what the block temp was!

I have a BF 150 myself as well as working on them for a living, mine does not get above 100 deg C even at full throttle. The block thermostat is 60 deg and the fly head 50 degrees. See my post above re what the different sensors in different parts of the motor should read.

Thanks iang - interesting and very helpful knowing that. Just as an fyi - I'm getting my info over NMEA200 and a Simrad. Although the Simrad is irrelevant as the V3 gauges show the same. I will add this also. My engines are running excellent. There's no sign of any issues with these hot temps. I've had about 4 or 5 alarms over the 14 months I've had the engines, with most of them after significantly long runs (i.e. 3-4 hours)

I've got a date scheduled with the Honda dealer for this upcoming Monday. Curious what they find out or say. And hopefully it doesn't take them 3 weeks to change out a sensor.

Back