Logo

2002 Honda 40 tiller won’t shift into reverse

Is this with the motor running? If not running, and you're adjusting or checking the linkage, that's not too unusual at all. Just go kick the prop a 1/4 turn and try again....

Owner's manual should be available right from Honda. I doubt it's going to do you any good though. Thinking you're more likely going to need a service manual to explain what you need to do.

I would have the cover off and the linkage disconnected to see if it would engage manually (motor NOT running). If possible that way, it's obviously an adjustment or worn out part in the linkage.

If it's shifting, but not staying put, I bet I know what this is. This is one of those deals that's going to take way longer to type than it is to do.

Check out parts #'s 6 and 7 in the diagram below. Probably rusted in half or the bolt that holds them has loosened up.
http://ww2.iboats.com/Engine-Cover-...909090--session_id.114747019--view_id.1326520

There's a cam with forward, neutral and reverse detents on the shifter cross shaft down below the starter (buried in that very busy area underneath all that "stuff"). 6 and 7 ride on that cam, securing it and the shift shaft in one of the 3 positions. Betting yours are not doing a very good job of this.....

Last edited:
Back