Logo

1988 Yamaha 2 stroke sputtering during acceleration. Here’s what I’ve done so far

Dan8002

It was working fine the first 3 times I had it out this year, then I noticed some sputtering.

It starts and idles just fine but when I give it gas, say around 1/4-1/2 throttle it sputters. When I get past this point it’ll stop, however it seems like it doesn’t have as much power at wot. Here’s what I’ve done so far to try and fix it.

I replaced the hose because it was a crappy one from rural king. Looking inside I seen it was collapsed. When I would be at wot it would really misfire badly. When I replaced the hose/bulb with a better quality one it would only misfire at 1/4-1/2 throttle.

Since then I’ve

Replaced all fuel connections minus the one that connects into engine because the store is out at the moment. All connections are tight and bulb is in right direction. Replaced fuel tank as well and is vented.

Replaced fuel pump and gasket. All bolts are tight

Replaced fuel lines at the carbs. I do notice some bubbles but nothing crazy. They usually seem to be moving. All hoses are tight

Replaced spark plugs and wires. Gapped correctly. Did an in-line spark test and everything seems normal according to instructions but the bulb doesn’t appear as bright as on YouTube. Maybe this could be an issue.

Took apart carbs. Didn’t notice anything wrong. Cleaned/blew out all ports and jets (took out and cleaned ) and replaced floats.

Did a compression test on cylinders. All 3 are at 130 and holding.

I use v power nitro gas from shell.

I’ll look into the coils next. Any tips? Thanks in advance

Dan

Last edited:
I didn’t mess with any screws when I took apart carbs. Everything still looks like it’s opening and closing at same time. I found a video on how to check and adjust everything if need be so I will take a look later after work.

Back