Logo

Mercruiser 3.0 base timing issue

Brian3127

I have a 1989 smokercraft with a mercruiser 3.0 engine. I had to buy a plug that goes into the ignition module so I can put the engine on base mode. When I start the engine and then plug it in and connect to 12v the engine rpm does not drop at all so what does this mean.

I thought I read somewhere that if the rpms don't drop then most likely you have an automotive ignition module. Is this true and if it is what would the part number be that I need to order

click to enlarge

This is the plug I bought. Its basically the same thing in the picture
Sorry i can't figure out how to upload a pic but its a plug with a black wire and a looped white wire looped to the pins 3,4. The black wire is on pin 2

Last edited:
The rpm usually drops some when the +12VDC is applied via the timing plug....I'd start there. If it turns out to be 'locked' w/o the timing plug (no advance w/ RPM) then you need a new module...

The rpm usually drops some when the +12VDC is applied via the timing plug....I'd start there. If it turns out to be 'locked' w/o the timing plug (no advance w/ RPM) then you need a new module...

The RPM doesn't drop when 12v is applied to the plug. So im guessing that means the module is bad?. Would you guys happen to have a part number for this.

Back