Logo

3YM30 cuttiing out at sea

deanmcneill

Just bought a C&C34 with a 2009 Yanmar 3YM30 installed. Purrs like a kitten, but we just sailed boat a 30 hour slog through some heavy seas. Decided to motor-sail a bit in some heavy seas and engine, at 2500-2800 rpm, would suddenly lose revs then often quit. Would start up again in a few moments, but would do it again in 5 minutes or so. Gave up on it until winds died down and started it up no problem... worked flawlessly for a 2 hour motor in calm waters after that. Boat was fully serviced in fall and on hard until 2 weeks ago when I bought and launched it. Has a Racor filter/water separator and inline fuel filter. I'm wondering if the exhaust being under water during that point of sail would cause the issue or maybe I should just change up filters, or was it probably sediment in tank being kicked up and starving the engine?

Probably debris in the tank momentarily blocking the pickup. I doubt the exhaust being under water is the cause. Military and some yachts exhaust underwater to limit noise. Since it was just serviced, there could be some air in the lines or filters that gets moved along with heavy seas. When you restart, if the engine struggles for a few seconds, it could be air. If it starts normally, then is probably not air.
Since you are new to the boat, I'd make an effort to see what in the tank and clean if necessary.

Back