Logo

It Took Time

willow

Regular Contributor
The picture is the ignition pick-up coil in the distributor of a 1992 Crusader 350 cu in

After a week of frustration with the engine starting sometimes and running sometimes and after changing the Distributor Cap/Rotor and the ignition Coil on the engine block I finally took the distributor out and this is what I found..

Replaced and engine now starts easily and purrs. The old coil had lasted 29 years.

IMG_2690.jpg

Was this the last of the original pickups? I seem to remember you swapped one of these a few years back....

That is one ugly part. I'm glad that you found the problem.

My unsolicited advise:

Do not simply install a new ignition system, set BASE advance and then call it a day.
Always take it a few steps further, and check the progressive and total advance against your OEM specs.

Was this the last of the original pickups? I seem to remember you swapped one of these a few years back....

Yes, about 6 years ago the other engine had a new one put in by the mechanic that told me the boat was too old to have anti-siphon valves....and the reason the engine was quiting after running 4-5-6- hours was because of the same coil...I did not see the old coil. When I limped the boat home that year I crawled around and found that both my fuel feeds had anti siphon valves and one was pretty much plugged. Changed both but the mechanic that tried everything else walked away with close to a $1000.00 and could have solved the problem with two $4.00 parts.

My ing coil pick up went bad a few weeks ago. Thanks to Makomark for confirming that was the likely problem. I could not get the pick up off the distributor so i just replaced the whole distributor. Missed only a few hours of boating!!

Back