Logo

40HP Force 1995

I changed the head gasket to my outboard and now only one bolt (bottom left) does not fully tighten but is very snug. All other bolts are tighten well. Will this one bolt cause cylinder problems for me.?

Should be okay. Head gasket quality might be an issue. Hope you used something good like Sierra.

Thank you Jerry, I'll try putting a heli coil during the winterizing. I think Tim means using a good quality gasket to avoid further issues not that it prevents from tightening the bolt.

Ha....no, what I meant that if the gasket was a high quality, it would likely seal even with one bolt unable to reach full torque...as long as it was "very snug". A cheap gasket might not fare so well.

I ran a tap and cleaned out the threads but still does not tighten fully although very tightly snug not a larger bolt. I have three bolts one size larger than the rest but the larger ones tighten well.

It might???
But there's a reason they tuorqe things down.
Tighten it down and run it.
Then when you have time??? Heli-coil.
or drill and tap to the next larger size.

Use a metric bolt, drill/tap to that size?

Thank you Jerry, I did start the outboard, ran it for about 15 minutes and appeared to run well. I will drill-tap the one bolt hole and Heli coil in Winter. If the head bolts are not torqued what kind of signs or sounds will I hear if something starts going wrong with the heads.?

Thank you Jerry this is helpful information. I ran my outboard for about 25 minutes and checked my new spark plugs. Top spark plug looked good and dry with little carbon inside center. The lower spark plug was slightly moist and looked kind of whitish. Should I be concerned and just changed the head gasket.

Whitish ?
Dry?
It's a 2 stroke, seems like it should have some
oil residue.

Get a heat temp sensor(ebay 16$) run the motor and
take temp readings as you run the motor.

Run it and keep an eye on the plugs.
If one gets hotter than the other? it might be sucking
air somewhere?
Is it backfiring, stumbling or missing? Yes? Then it's
sucking air from somewhere?
One backfire can blow the port cover gasket and cause
problems.

Back