Logo

New guy with shift shaft??

Chris O

I am new here and was hoping you guys could help me out. I have a 97 50 hp Yamaha C50TLRW 2 stroke. I knew I needed a new impeller so I dropped the lower unit and when I pressure tested it I saw it was leaking by the shift shaft so I ordered a water pump kit and shift shaft seal and plastic plate and o ring. When I was taking the plate off the shift shaft came out with it. It is the rod that is splined on both ends and I can see the hole it goes in but it doesn’t feel like it is engaging anything. I did mark where the spline was before I pulled it out. I figured something got moved so I re mounted my lower unit tonight and my thoughts were correct it’s in gear all the time no neutral. I did have the motor in reverse when I took the lower unit off originally. I took the lower off again tonight and took my water pump off and took out my bearing carrier and prop shaft. Do I need to take off the pinion gear and forward gear to line the shift linkage up some how? Or is there any other way I can get my shift shaft back to reverse without taking the gears out. I knew I didn’t want to touch the shift shaft and now I know why lol. If any of you can give me some advice to get the shift cam or whatever linkage back to where I need it I would greatly appreciate it. I don’t see much information on shift shaft dilemmas like mine. Thanks again

Is the circlip still attached to the shift rod? I suspect not but...

I think you are going to have to pull the bearing carrier to retrieve the shift cam. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
zsc.png

Last edited:
My e clip was still on the shaft but it was way up high on the shaft just below plastic plate and shift shaft seal. Looking at the picture it should be lower. Do you know if this e clip should be right on top of the cam? Thanks again

Thanks I thought it was confusing also I think it is up high there is a groove there it rests in . I talked to a local boat mechanic and he told me to get a small magnet and go through the forward gear and move the cam. I was able to get a hold of the cam and get my shift shaft back through the cam. He said they are master splined and will only go through the cam one way so tomorrow I will try to reassemble But I feel I am on the right path anyway, thanks again

Back