Logo

2006 6hp Nissan Marine (tohatsu) with exhaust and power problems

ggg

I’m pretty new to outboards and I just picked up a super clean 2006 4stroke Nissan Marine 6hp

I haven’t done anything but change the oil and grease the two fittings on the steering bushing.

The problems:

It starts in a few pulls, but won’t idle.

Exhaust seems to be coming out from where the lower unit meets the shaft and from the hole where where the cam rod pokes out of the drive shaft.

On the water it seems to have no top end. It accelerates about half way and the rest of the throttle just doesn’t change much. It does lurch a little from time to time at full throttle.

Who knows what my problem is?

thanks!

Year is irrelevant. Model is very important. Probably NSF6B.
Don't over-grease the swivel, or the grease will get all over the steering friction band.
Change LU lube when you change oil. Use non synthetic 10w-30 oil.
Idle issues are usually varnishing in the low-speed circuit. That calls for a proper cleaning, with an overnight soak in carb dip, followed by a thorough blow out with generic carb spray.
The cam rod is part of the LU. The shift rod couples to it inside the driveshaft housing.
It's normal for exhaust and water to come out of the drain holes and stuff as well as through the prop.

Thanks much. You called the model, it’s NSF6BS
Ive revolt carbs, but never heard of a carb dip. I’ll look into it.

i probably did over grease the steering collar. Is it worth disassembling and cleaning that up?

You called it again. I disassembled and cleaned the carb and idles like a champ.
well see if the top speed issue is fixed too when I get it on the water.

I had it out on the water, and it’s still missing the last 20% or so of power. It’s also doing this weird thing where it almost feels like it’s revving really high when the throttle is wide open.

the prop doesn’t look well used, but could the propeller be worn out?

Back