Logo

Trouble with Ignition System on a 1973 Evinrude 85 h.p. V-4 Outboard

boatdokker

Regular Contributor
A few months ago I got an Evinrude 85 h.p. outboard at a pretty cheap price. It had most of the motor parts. I did have to buy a used lower unit
for that motor and that transmission seems o.k. While trying to get the rest of the motor together I found that the stator that I got with the deal will not assemble over the timer base that I got from a boat vendor in Mesa, Arizona. The p/n I found on the stator is "510839" and seems to line up to an Evinrude 65 to 75 h.p. 3 cyl. outboard or an Evinrude 150 to 235 h.p. 6 cyl. outboard. The p/n I found for the timer base is "385500".

It seems like there is some interference between the stator and the timer base housing. Either will bolt to the motor, however they won't assemble to the motor at the same time. Wrong part numbers for this motor?

Are either of these ignition component definitely for my motor, a 1973 85 h.p. V-4, m/n 85393M? Here are some photos of the motor that I'm working with.P1010216.JPGP1010215.JPGP1010208.JPG Thanks.

Yeah....and the stator assembles to the flywheel...it just won’t bolt over the timer plate. The shop that sold the timer base to me agrees that the stator that came with the motor is from another Evinrude outboard...I think it’s from a 3 cylinder or 6 cylinder outboard. The timer base is from a 1974 115 h.p. V-4 Evinrude. That should be o.k. for this motor. Thanks.

A boat mechanic in Michigan said that if the wires on this stator correlate to the V-4 wiring diagram, then one option would be to drill the stator so that the stator bolts will line up to the fittings on the top of the motor. Pretty sure this is a stator from another Evinrude outboard.

It is the right stator for this motor. Had to inspect and realign the factory fittings to the motor and insulate the coils with epoxy. It started and idled o.k.

Back