Logo

Lower Unit Bearing Replacement

I was able to remove the old/ broken bearing housing from the lower unit. But how do I get new one to fit in casing? I have 1962 28 HP Evinrude with a split case lower unit. Thank you for your help. I’m not a mechanic but like to do my own repairs to save money. I’m guessing I need a press but I don’t have one.

Heat the gearcase in the bearing area and it will tap/slide in pretty easy (heat the gearcase, not the bearing)

So you got the old one out ?-----Bearing sizes are very standard.----If it has the same number it will be the same size !

Well any pictures of the broken bearing ?------Sometimes when a bearing spins in a housing it damages the housing.----Then a new bearing may not push in easily.----Inspect the housing bore !

You can also check size difference and get parts to fit with a little hand grinding/fitting. If your unsure of the perfect fit, you can use a little JB weld when you press it into place. Done alot of these....common problem. How is the shaft?

The shaft is good, i was doing a gear replacement and the bearing casing ring cracked and all the rollers fell out. I found the exact same part number but its a different design. Im trying to figure out how to upload photos.

Perhaps we don't know what bearing you are talking about. I'm thinking it is a Timken Tapered roller bearing and you are trying to replace the outer race. Some gearcases use an entirely different setup.

Timken bearings normally have the number stamped on them.

Well it sounds to me that you are working on a motor that does not have the original lower unit.------Only with posting some pictures can we help you.----Perhaps compare your lower unit with parts shown for say a 1970 model 33 HP lower unit.-----That 1970 lower unit would fit on your 62 model 28 HP.------Simple if you brought it over for a look.

Last edited:
That did not work for me.----Lots of different ways to post pictures on here.---But I know how to repair that lower unit without a manual.----Posting pictures ---forget it ----Beyond what I am willing to learn at my age.

Didn't work for me either. It wants to let YOU know who wants to view the link. Here is how to post a picture. First take your picture and reduce its size to less than 1,000 k. Next hit go advanced on your post and click on the paper clip up in the icons. Then just follow prompts and add photo. I use "lit photo" and it creates its own file of downsized photos.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200904-084229.jpg
    Screenshot_20200904-084229.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I'm convinced you have a 33-35hp gearcase. Totally different pinion/bearing setup. I'm surprised you don't notice the different pinion.

Or are you trying to put 33hp parts in a 28hp gearcase?

Or am I wrong?

Attachments

• 28hp .jpg
    28hp .jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 33hp.jpg
    33hp.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I'm convinced you have a 33-35hp gearcase. Totally different pinion/bearing setup. I'm surprised you don't notice the different pinion. Or am I wrong?

Wow, it’s so weird, I have like a combination of the two. The pinion is definitely for the 33 HP but mine also comes with the bar that goes across pinion to hold it up, shown in the other photos. Where can I find that part number for that part? Looks like 31 on that diagram.

Did you try as I recommended....???? it works nicely, then you will have a modified file....WITH ORIGINALS, there on Lit Photo.

Okay I got photos. Sorry, should have checked sooner? Looks like the 28 horse housing for sure, but had no pinion retaining strap? But the holes are there for it. That bearing that came out doesn't look correct. Somebody has been in there before, but that new bearing should fit. Did you measure the new bearing and the housing bore size difference?
The last picture with you holding the bearings appears to be almost the same size.
I probably have that pinion strap here. Let us know how you have proceeded.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200905-085407_compress59.jpg
    Screenshot_20200905-085407_compress59.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20200905-085633_compress67.jpg
    Screenshot_20200905-085633_compress67.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20200905-090026_compress69.jpg
    Screenshot_20200905-090026_compress69.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Back