Logo

Lower Unit Bearing Replacement

That does not appear to be a factory original bearing for the 28 HP model.----Without more pictures it be hard to tell.------Was there a needle thrust bearing under the bearing in the picture in post # 30----The 33 HP models did not use that pinion strap as per parts diagrams !!----Post pictures of the pinion gear .

Last edited:
I just forwarded the pictures of most value....nothing of the pinion. I agree. Been clobbered up.

Okay I got photos. Sorry, should have checked sooner? Looks like the 28 horse housing for sure, but had no pinion retaining strap? But the holes are there for it. That bearing that came out doesn't look correct. Somebody has been in there before, but that new bearing should fit. Did you measure the new bearing and the housing bore size difference?
The last picture with you holding the bearings appears to be almost the same size.
I probably have that pinion strap here. Let us know how you have proceeded.

no I do I have the pinion restraining strap. Do you think the new bearing Should fit? Do I need a press?

Okay I got photos. Sorry, should have checked sooner? Looks like the 28 horse housing for sure, but had no pinion retaining strap? But the holes are there for it. That bearing that came out doesn't look correct. Somebody has been in there before, but that new bearing should fit. Did you measure the new bearing and the housing bore size difference?
The last picture with you holding the bearings appears to be almost the same size.
I probably have that pinion strap here. Let us know how you have proceeded.

thank you. Yes I have the pinion strap. The new one looks slightly thicker, and the old one slides in better to the casing. Maybe some grease will help it get in there with a press?

That does not appear to be a factory original bearing for the 28 HP model.----Without more pictures it be hard to tell.------Was there a needle thrust bearing under the bearing in the picture in post # 30----The 33 HP models did not use that pinion strap as per parts diagrams !!----Post pictures of the pinion gear .

Hi,

Yes, there was a thrust washer underneath the bearing housing. Ive attached photos of the pinion and the thrust washers.

Attachments

• rsz_pinion_.jpg
    rsz_pinion_.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 26
  • rsz_1thrust.jpg
    rsz_1thrust.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 32
One last try here.----Hopefully I can make it clear.-------You do not have the original 1962 model 28 HP lower unit installed.----So you need to run to a shop with a " grey haired " manager.----Find out what you have and install the correct parts.----Put the hammers away and listen.

Ha.....well said! Also, I don't like the looks of that thrust washer and rollers. Time to call Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. Talk to Teresa, Mike, or Dan. They will send you the correct parts......they probably have them in large quantities. I have a few, but not sure where they are, my shop is a mess. Need Racer or Joe to help me organize....besides that I'm loosing my short term memory.....forgot what they call that!

Tim's # 218 682 2331.....almost forgot!

Last edited:
Ha.....well said! Also, I don't like the looks of that thrust washer and rollers. Time to call Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. Talk to Teresa, Mike, or Dan. They will send you the correct parts......they probably have them in large quantities. I have a few, but not sure where they are, my shop is a mess. Need Racer or Joe to help me organize....besides that I'm loosing my short term memory.....forgot what they call that!

Tim's # 218 682 2331.....almost forgot!

okay, I got all the right parts now! One more question. The new bearing has a plastic ring that seems to be holding all the rollers in place. I put the driveshaft through that right? I don’t remove it?

Back